Search the forum,

Discuss Building a bathroom in Peru !! HELP !! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikeh1979

Hi Guys,

I'm opening a hostel in Lima Peru very shortly and I am having a bathroom fitted with 4 shower cubicles and 4 toilets.
Now i know nothing about plumbing or tiling, and it would seem none of the "plumbers" and "tilers" I've called so far either do.
The room at the moment is wooden floor boards and plaster walls. The best guy so far wants to throw down 2 inches of cenent onto the wood and just tile on top to make shower cubicles with dividers made of wood and cement and tiles on top. To me that sounds a bad idea one because of the weight on the floor and the second in an earth quake the floor will move and crack.
Now my idea was to put Ply across the whole floor, screwing it down in 6 inch squares. Im not sure if marine ply is available but i was thinking the showers could have plastic trays so it wont be getting to wet anyway. Is there a good way to treat none marine ply before tiling?
Second making the dividers for the showers and toilets (they will all be in a single row) with plasterboard and wooden frames with tiles on top. Now I dont think the waterproof plasterboard exists here and I have no idea on the quality of adhisive or grout available. But I expecting it to be pretty low quality.
Can anyone give me any tips on how to work best with not quite the right materials or will it be a disaster.

Any other suggestions will be highly apreciated if anyone can think of anything.

regards Mike

D

DHTiling

Hi mike...and welcome..

I think you should firstly try and find out what materials you can get hold of and what type of adhesives etc , then come back and give us a list and we can take it from there..:thumbsup:

Hows that sound..?

D

diamondtiling

If you pay my airfare i'll come and do it for you..........you dont have snakes and big spiders out there do you?

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Why not fit a gulley for the water instead of trays, you can form the falls with a screed and tile into them, one pot at the end linked to the drainage system, better than loads of trays that will get hammered and need loads of plumbing. if I could work out how to load pictures I would show you some that "we prepared earlier"

:mad2::mad2::mad2:

M

mikeh1979

Dave,

Im just off to the Peruvian version of B&Q now to look at the adhesives and grout. I have no idea what will be in store for me, not much I betting.

Diamond

If I had the cash Id love you to come it would be so much less stressfull than employing the people Im going to have to employ to do this job. This is the type of place when if you own a spanner your a qualified mechanic! Can you email me some photos of what your talking about please as I know very little about any of this stuff my email is [email protected] as for shower trays they in themselves are going to be hard enought to loacte, as EVERYBODY just throws cement on the floor and tiles on top. But when you walk past a building with apartments and you see the side you can see that 50% of them are leaking as you can see the salt deposits where the water is running onto the outside wall hence my reluctance to do the same.

PS There are no big spiders or snakes in Lima so you would be safe hehehe.

C

CBTC

Before you get into all the ins and outs I'd take the view that of course all issues current here re tiling apply elsewhere, however the know how / products / trades experience and budget have to be taken into account locally. Im sure you can get a high (er) spec job from an architectural spec'd job - but its all relative. If you're relying on little knowhow from you, straight forward products and basic build quality you'll probably have to find a builder you can trust to do as well as can be expected.
As for plumbers / tilers specifically - do they have 'Yellow Paginas' out there!?
Good luck with the hostel.

Reply to Building a bathroom in Peru !! HELP !! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen