Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss best way to cut slate around fireplace in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

postie

Hi guys
I know this is basic but what is the best way to cut 1 inch slate around fireplace. As you can see in diagram 1 the carpet has been cut where the client had laid the slate in loose and then asked the carpet fitter to cut around the slate when he laid the carpet LOL but as you can see it was cut on the wonk as he had laid the slate side ways and at an angle , anyway i will have to cut the slate to the longest cut i will be putting a whole slate down the middle and cut the other 2 to the edge with the tile wrapping around the fire place in a L shape as in Diagram 2 is this how you would do it and what is the best method to get a good acurate cuts with 1 inch slate around this fireplace also how would you finish where the slate meets the carpet or do you just leave it sitting on top of carpet regards Edd.

737d1192877462-best-way-cut-slate-around-fireplace-fireplace-1.jpg
738d1192877462-best-way-cut-slate-around-fireplace-fireplace-2.jpg

Attachments

• fireplace 1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 133
  • fireplace 2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited by a moderator:
S

sc24

Once you've cut the slate square, can you not trim the carpet yourself? Or get the customer to do it if your dont want the responsibility, If you leave the slate siting on the carpet it will probably break if any pressure is put on the slate, as for cutting a decent wet cutter will do the job no probs

D

DHTiling

diagram 2 is spot on edd,,lift the carpet back and trim to fit the tiles once installed........dave...

F

Fred

I would advise the client that 1 inch is pushing it! 2-3 inches gives you a bit more play. You should be able to pin the carpet back as you lay, and if in any dault, use a trowel to put adhesive into the front where the carpet will lay.

Reply to best way to cut slate around fireplace in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks