Search the forum,

Discuss Battleship Grey Quartzite in Bathroom, to trim or not to trim...? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

gavva2010

Hey everybody, I'm currently preparing my bathroom for the walls & floor to be done in Grey Quartz - I have the tiles, & a tiler ready. The bathroom has a small window reveal, about 900mm x 500mm, & I'm stumped for what to do with it - The tiler has recommended schluter chrome trim, due to the sizes I'd need 2 lengths - setting me back around £104. I'd rather have the tiles butted together here, but as it's a polished surface finish, I'd need to try & get a similar finish on the exposed edges. I rekon it'd look best with the edges of the tile showing on the reveal edge, rather than the edge of the wall facing in (if that makes sense.)

The tiler isn't keen on this at all, but I'm after the minimalistic look - & worried the chrome trim would fade, in time, & go against the finish. Can anybody who's familiar with this stuff tell me whether it's possible for me to get a decent-ish finish on the tile edge - The tiler isn't keen on it, & rekons it would look naff. I don't mind doing the donkey work on it, if it's a bit labour-intense, or can this just not be done to any similar finish to the manufactured surface?

D

DHTiling

Yes you can polish the edges and any tiler worth his salt should be able to do it.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Or alternatively the edges could be mitred around the window reveal

Reaction score
Is the Tiler a Tiler? and have we checked he's capable with Quartz, no doubt he's got lots of previous jobs of different stone etc, and he can provide details for you to take up references? I'm not familiar with the trim you mention, but £104 for 2 lengths?

I

IHB

I'm just finishing a small wet room (DIY) with stone. It's got 2 doors and a window with reveals and I've finished all with polished edges. Polishing doesn't take long even for a novice and it ends up looking like the face of the tile. As you suggest, the exposed edge should be facing the reveal rather than the room.

The only thing I needed to watch was getting the edges accurate and straight to start with.

D

DHTiling

I'm just finishing a small wet room (DIY) with stone. It's got 2 doors and a window with reveals and I've finished all with polished edges. Polishing doesn't take long even for a novice and it ends up looking like the face of the tile. As you suggest, the exposed edge should be facing the reveal rather than the room.

The only thing I needed to watch was getting the edges accurate and straight to start with.

IMO that is personal choice... i prefer to show exposed edges facing but i do give the choice to which ways it can be done.

I

IHB

IMO that is personal choice... i prefer to show exposed edges facing but i do give the choice to which ways it can be done.

No doubt you are right. Are there any gallery pictures showing edges facing the room?

G

gavva2010

Fantastic, tyvm for the replies here - John Benton, that's an excellent shout, I hadn't thought of mitring it - A mitre would save any polishing whatsoever. The guy is very experienced, has shown me a portfolio of previous work, he's on "rated people" & - assuming the feedback is all genuine (speaking as an old-time ebayer :) ) - I'm satisfied that he's the real deal. IHB, how did you put the polish onto the edge? Did you need the Diamond pads I've seen mentioned, & a polishing machine (probably a stupid question), or can it be done "by hand"?

I'd also be very interested to see pictures of the tile edges either way into a reveal, as it's difficult to imagine how it will look when completed... As for the trim, I thought the price sounded a bit extortionate, so I rang the local place that stocks schluter, & they priced it the same - £52.00 per 2.5m length. Jesuus!! I wanna avoid that, & go tile-to-tile - one way or the other.

I

IHB

Also IHB, was it quartz that you put the polished edge onto, out of curiosity?

Marble not Quartz. Not sure if Quartz is harder than Marble but can't see it being any different to polish. I think it looks good with the edge facing the reveal but haven't seen pictures of it done the other way.

D

DHTiling

Marble not Quartz. Not sure if Quartz is harder than Marble but can't see it being any different to polish. I think it looks good with the edge facing the reveal but haven't seen pictures of it done the other way.

Quartz and marble are 2 different materials to polish and require the knowledge to do it.

Reply to Battleship Grey Quartzite in Bathroom, to trim or not to trim...? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen