Currently reading:
Bathroom Leaking - Looking to seal grout and tile

Discuss Bathroom Leaking - Looking to seal grout and tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bloydie

Hi,

Recently I have had some tenants move into my house. They reported that a small leak occasionally occurs when somebody is showering. It appears that there is a lot of steam generated in the bathroom (there aren’t any windows). The tiling on the floor is not the best and it appears that the moisture, perhaps from the shower is going behind the toilet/ bath area.
I have been looking for a solution as I am about to go away on holiday and don’t have time to have the floor ripped up. I know the water is seeping through a small crack in the grout at the end of the bathroom. I have been looking at sealers and see that you recommend Seal Guard. Is this any good and where can I purchase it? I see you mention NETT; if I could just have a number or email I would order it.
Also do you know if there is paste form that I can apply? Can anyone recommend the best product to use for a problem like this? It would be much appreciated.
I was thinking of using the sealant round the back of the toilet, then once this has dried place a plastic sheet down, sealed round the side. Then follow this with a piece of bathroom carpet to go in the same area.
I know it won’t look pretty but I just need it to do the job for roughly six months. Once I come back from my travels and the tenants have left I can have this ripped out. Any help or advice would be greatly received.
Many thanks

Richard Bloye

Hi, thanks for the reply an extractor fan has been fitted that goes into the loft and then outside. I dont know what make or model i purchased but it came from b&q. The fan does not seem to be pumping it out in a hurry, but it does seem ok. You can put a piece of paper to it and it will hold it up. The guy who fitted it said the output was good.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

faithhealer

The only good advice I can give you is save your money on the seal guard, only used to seal natural stone. I hate to say this but a tube of silicon might be a temporary fix. If your tentants are responsible, ask them to keep the room ventilated (leave the door open or invest in a dehumidifier) and maybe a towel or two on the floor until you have time to get a proper job done. good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brian c

The only good advice I can give you is save your money on the seal guard, only used to seal natural stone. I hate to say this but a tube of silicon might be a temporary fix. If your tentants are responsible, ask them to keep the room ventilated (leave the door open or invest in a dehumidifier) and maybe a towel or two on the floor until you have time to get a proper job done. good luck.
so an extractor fan as i say then?

Reply to Bathroom Leaking - Looking to seal grout and tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.