Search the forum,

Discuss Basalt tiling, we have dabs showing through and grout marks in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Martin Sewell

We have just completed a number of bathrooms walls and floors in Basalt.
All the tiles were sealed first with Lithofin stain stop . some walls were applied with dabs of adhesive rather than continuous bed these show through the tile. The floors are showing water marks when used. We have also tried some areas with LTP impregnating sealer but not much improved. Any advice welcome please, we may have to replace the tiles fixed with dabs but would like to know we can produce results like the magazine pictures. We are Happy to pay someone to come and work on these tiles if you can assure of us of good results. I have photos available.

Martin

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It'll be the dabs of adhesive that's showing through that's your problem. The tiles will show that through. Ideally they'd need to come off and be refixed properly, backbuttering the tiles so that the adhesive is 100% covered on the back of the tiles which will then show an even colour throughout. The other marks will probably be the same issue, just different adhesive patterns on the back etc.

D

Discount Tile Supplies

Dot and dab is not good. Adhesive may dry eventually. If you have grouted them then the only way is ripp of and re tile as it may never dry.

Have a read of the instructions on the tub or bag as this will tell you how thick the adhesive should be, and hopefully they dont all start falling off your walls so be careful.

Reply to Basalt tiling, we have dabs showing through and grout marks in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen