Discuss Bad tiling? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I’m having a kitchen fitted and tiled. I wondered what people’s thoughts are on the attached......is it acceptable or should I ask for it to be re done? The rest of the job I should pretty good

A7729D40-12BD-42BC-8F4B-013AD725E9BE.jpeg

EazyTileZ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Grouting looks a bit sloppy in general. If you are happy enough with rest then maybe u can adjust socket a few mm and it will be less of an eyesore.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If that’s your only issue with the tiling works, you could consider fixing a face plate surround that goes behind the switch plate and will conceal the grouting.

Reaction score
Grouting looks a bit sloppy in general. If you are happy enough with rest then maybe u can adjust socket a few mm and it will be less of an eyesore.
Thanks, wondered if I am being too fussy but it hits you in the face as soon as you enter the room! Think I’ll ask home to re do it.....
[automerge]1605313230[/automerge]
If that’s your only issue with the tiling works, you could consider fixing a face plate surround that goes behind the switch plate and will conceal the grouting.
Thank you....that’s a good idea.....the rest seems quite good......and wondering if the socket underneath would need to be moved to correct it.....and would need an electrician....this is the job so far
[automerge]1605313282[/automerge]
Thank you.....having a think about that or a surrounding plate perhaps

Last edited:

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
There is usually enough play on the screws to lift the face plate up a few mm. Try that first , if not then remove socket and replace tile. The option of lifting backbox is one as well but are they all the same datum. ?

Reaction score
There is usually enough play on the screws to lift the face plate up a few mm. Try that first , if not then remove socket and replace tile. The option of lifting backbox is one as well but are they all the same datum. ?
Thank you. One other switch is dodgy too.....see further images of work being done

E863D499-CD95-432A-ABAF-C6F3262F5907.jpeg

D78F19A3-E1C5-4E6B-8A71-398622134AC6.jpeg

Reaction score
I think the overall standard is okay but I think it was more bad luck on the height of the sockets. They seem a little too high not sure if there is a standard height to set them at? Maybe an electrician would know? All the best

Reaction score
I think the overall standard is okay but I think it was more bad luck on the height of the sockets. They seem a little too high not sure if there is a standard height to set them at? Maybe an electrician would know? All the best
Yes, I agree.....as it’s just the two light switches that are a problem. I’m going to speak with the electrician on Monday to see if he can move them. One last question does Rhea below look right.....or has he got the rows of the tiles on the left (next to door frame) in the wrong order.....so should the top row on left be second row?

43C6AEE8-5105-4A25-8829-77640F542582.jpeg

[automerge]1605384670[/automerge]
Yes, I agree.....as it’s just the two light switches that are a problem. I’m going to speak with the electrician on Monday to see if he can move them. One last question does Rhea below look right.....or has he got the rows of the tiles on the left (next to door frame) in the wrong order.....so should the top row on left be second row?

43C6AEE8-5105-4A25-8829-77640F542582.jpeg
It’s almost as though he worked out what he was going to do.....then put them up the wrong way round?

Reaction score
I would always put the smaller cut with the bigger cut so the tiles wrap around the internal corner. Always looks better. Only this late in the day would mean ripping one lot off. If anything is going in the corner then might be best to leave, but it's your call.

Reply to Bad tiling? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks