Search the forum,

Discuss B&Q tiles why do people buy them.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

I did a bathroom on Mon/Tues in a house local to me, the guy has just put a £300,00 extension on and got B&Q white cheap tiles...you know the ones that when you grout you can see the orange on the grout joints from the edge of the tiles...I told him before i started fixing that's what would happen, and it probably took me a couple of hours extra grouting them to get them looking spot on..WHY DO THEY BUY THEM :furious3:

B

bigneil

when i did my own two bathroom floors, i just went and got whatever ****e was on sale at B&Q because it was way way cheeper than a trade discount at my local tile shop. they were absolutley fine too except for some slight size difference between batch numbers. I reckon B&Q is hit and miss for tile quality.

W

White Room

I'm sure they think there getting a bargain, They "Look" the part but they don't have to lay them

O

Olz

I think people rely on the 'experts' at B&Q and get bad advice.

It was highly publised last year that B&Q were employing people of older generations who had worked most of their life in specific trade and were indeed experts in their fields. This sticks in alot of people's minds and they go there beliveing that they are speaking to the expert, when infact most of the time, the person there speaking to either worked in a different field altogether and is in the wrong department or never worked in a trade at all.

I went to get an old imperial to metric connector a while back when replacing a very very old bathroom suite, the guy i spoke to made out to be a plumber and sold me the wrong part, i went back the week after and spoke to him about another plumbing part, asking for his advice, his reply - sorry mate i work in the electrician / electrics department. Obviously forgetting that he had professed to be a plumber the week before.

People are going and being told that the tiles are fine and that B&Q addy etc is as good as any other, they see B&Q as a massive DIY retailer and believe what there told. They buy believing that there as good as any other but B&Q can sell them cheaper, maybe becuase its a massive retailer, maybe they dont think why and just see the price savings.

No disrespect to anyone who works at B&Q by the way, just my opinion as to why people buy from there. People trust big brand stores.

M

mart1

As with all the large sheds they get you with a cheap item but then you pay over the top for any add on's. you see cheap tiles but then pay more for trims,adhesives etc. you see cheap copper pipe but then pay more for your connections etc. if people sat down and worked out what they needed to complete the job and gathered quotations from smaller distributors i bet there is not a lot of difference in the long run.

S

smurf21

the biggest problem i have found with B&Q tiles is when customers get them themselves all the batch nos are diff and results in total shade mismatch but they buy em coz there cheap.:mad2:

I

IvegotsTILE

Just turned down another job with B&Q 600+600 porcelain,no way will I lay these outta size,outta square self staining tiles:stupid:

D

Droopy

the biggest problem i have found with B&Q tiles is when customers get them themselves all the batch nos are diff and results in total shade mismatch but they buy em coz there cheap.:mad2:
Half the time they don't even have a batch number:lol:

T

tkm18

Just turned down another job with B&Q 600+600 porcelain,no way will I lay these outta size,outta square self staining tiles:stupid:

Used them once and was surprised that they were actually ok.

But as a whole,i agree with everything else said on this thread, even getting tiles from the same batch is a nightmare. :mad2:

Reply to B&Q tiles why do people buy them.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen