Search the forum,

Discuss Aquapanel and Eggbox Walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

andrewm

TF
Reaction score
Following recommendations on these forums I have gone for Aquapanel to line the walls around a bath that will have a shower over it. The intention was to replace the plasterboard with Aquapanel where necessary and add in extra noggins at the same time if necessary.

However having removed the old suite I now discover that the plasteboard wall is in fact a single piece panel with two sheets of plasterboard seperated by an eggbox type construction (much like a cheap interior door). So obviously removing one sheet of plasterboard is not an option and there is no studwork to screw into.

The only thing that I can think of doing is to screw directly into the plasterboard but put some Gripfix type adhesive on the back of the panel first to give added mechanical strength to the bond. I can't build a studwork frame in front of this wall because there is only just enough room for the bath as it is.

Would this be a satisfactory solution?

Andrew

J

jay

structural is the question as the wall may still not be suitable to be tiled what type and size tiles do you have in mind

andrewm

TF
Reaction score
structural is the question as the wall may still not be suitable to be tiled what type and size tiles do you have in mind

Tiles are 400mm x 250mm ceramics. If the wall does not have the structural strength then I am wondering why the plumber mounted a boiler on it when the central heating was installed.

J

jay

without seeing it i would say do some research on this type of wall .others will be along shortly they may of worked with this type of wall .not keen

andrewm

TF
Reaction score
without seeing it i would say do some research on this type of wall .others will be along shortly they may of worked with this type of wall .not keen

Well, it would appear to be calle 'Paramount Board' and judging by what I have found so far it would appear to have the same weight handling characteristics as plasterboard when it comes to tiling. So that is good. But I need a waterproof backer and while I will get some holding ability with a grid of screws into the plasterboard (there are apparently small studs on 900mm centres) I was wondering whether a belt and braces approach and using Gripfill or similar would be a good idea.

D

DHTiling

Can you not leave the board in-situ and use a tanking kit or membrane instead of the aqua panel..

andrewm

TF
Reaction score
Can you not leave the board in-situ and use a tanking kit or membrane instead of the aqua panel..

No technical reason but I already have the Aquapanel as a result of advice on these forums that it was a better solution than tanking. This, of course, was before I knew that it was not going to go on a normal stud wall.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I would agree with Dave on this, just tank the paramount board. Good luck:thumbsup:

Reply to Aquapanel and Eggbox Walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen