Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice please on poor job in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

I’ve recently had my shower tiled and am very unhappy with the result. As the tiler was putting the tiles on, I told him that I was unhappy with it but he said that he would make any last tweaks before he grouted. He made some changes and then finished the job and it’s shoddy. I’ve paid him because I didn’t want a nasty confrontation but I told him that I was unhappy with the work, and he apologised but didn’t offer to do anything to rectify it. I was hoping I would get used to it but I don’t think I can.

So some advice please - is it possible to change the very badly placed tiles or would the whole lot need to come down now that it’s grouted?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 80
Reaction score
Ok. The tile is awful. Anyone is going to say that. Rectification is possible, I’m sure you know that - it couldn’t get much worse. The solution though lays at the start of the job. You should have done due diligence on the tiler, talked about your expectations and the sort of job you wanted and the “tiler” should have had the opportunity to take or not take on the job. Get it in writing as a simple contract that both parties sign. Pay a deposit by all means but put in the contract you will only pay if you are happy that he had completed the work to your satisfaction. If he won’t agree, then find a tiler who will. A professional, caring, tiler would have no problem with this as they know the level of expertise they work to. Look, it’s not about confrontation, no one wants that, it’s just about all parties understanding what your paying for.
Then, everyone’s happy and pictures such as these will hopefully be history.

OP
S
Reaction score
:)
Ok. The tile is awful. Anyone is going to say that. Rectification is possible, I’m sure you know that - it couldn’t get much worse. The solution though lays at the start of the job. You should have done due diligence on the tiler, talked about your expectations and the sort of job you wanted and the “tiler” should have had the opportunity to take or not take on the job. Get it in writing as a simple contract that both parties sign. Pay a deposit by all means but put in the contract you will only pay if you are happy that he had completed the work to your satisfaction. If he won’t agree, then find a tiler who will. A professional, caring, tiler would have no problem with this as they know the level of expertise they work to. Look, it’s not about confrontation, no one wants that, it’s just about all parties understanding what your paying for.
Then, everyone’s happy and pictures such as these will hopefully be history.
Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing. What I need advice on is whether individual tiles or groups of tiles can be removed now that it has been grouted or will the whole lot have to come down in order to rectify it?

Reaction score

Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing. What I need advice on is whether individual tiles or groups of tiles can be removed now that it has been grouted or will the whole lot have to come down in order to rectify it?
The answer is yes. We have tools to remove grout which means one or more tikes can be replaced. Find a tiler who will look at the job and agree to improve the look of the tiles, and understands what you expect. We are supposed to offer proper professional advice.
People on forums can only write comments. You need to find a competent tiler to look at the job and both agree the rectification.
It may be hindsight but you don’t want to have the same problem again.

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Its not a good job and you shouldn't have to accept it. Have a chat with the tiler, explain your concerns and ask them what they can do to put it right. Preferably do it via email so you have a record of the conversation if you need to pursue it further, attach the photos you have posted here so he realises how bad it is. It doesn't need to be nasty, try and keep it polite and civil. He might say tough nothing he can do or he might try and make it look a bit better for you. Either way you can decide how you want to proceed.

As a side note, can I ask if this person was advertising as a professional tiler or are they a handy man/friend of a friend that has attempted a bit of tile in the past?

OP
S
Reaction score
Its not a good job and you shouldn't have to accept it. Have a chat with the tiler, explain your concerns and ask them what they can do to put it right. Preferably do it via email so you have a record of the conversation if you need to pursue it further, attach the photos you have posted here so he realises how bad it is. It doesn't need to be nasty, try and keep it polite and civil. He might say tough nothing he can do or he might try and make it look a bit better for you. Either way you can decide how you want to proceed.

As a side note, can I ask if this person was advertising as a professional tiler or are they a handy man/friend of a friend that has attempted a bit of tile in the past?
Thank you.
He’s a “professional” tiler, recommended to us by the tile shop we used (a well known shop!)

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
I think that works in your favour, I would think he takes a certain amount of pride in his work and would want to try and make it look better.

Also you could speak to the tile shop and say look you recommend this guy, show them the photos. If nothing else they might stop recommending him. It all depends how far you want to go with it.

Reply to Advice please on poor job in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock