Search the forum,

Discuss advice please..just off to do a quote in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brendanbreeze

Hello all,

A bit of advice before I go off and quote for a job please.

Just got a call saying they had small job needs doing, should take a few hours. They've just had a bit of work done on a new conservatory that has upset alot of the joints in the tiles in the upstairs bathroom (not the grout lines, just the silicone joints...at least I think) so want it all removed and replaced before any water damage occurs. Also need a bit of patch repair to a victorian driveway damaged by heavy boots/wheel barrows.

I've already sourced the tiles if I need to get new ones and am going to suggest cleaning them up and re sealing the whole pathway, so hopefully a bit more work. Just wondered if there were any pitfalls I should be looking out for. Never removed 'mastic' before (this is just another word for silicone right???...how hard is it and what tools will I require?

Thanks very much - Brendan

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Mastic and Silicone are 2 different things. Silicone cures and sets to form a rubber compound - Mastic never sets but forms a skin over it to keep the water out. Mastic for use round external door frames - silicone round baths. I would think you can swap mastic for silicone but not the other way round.

D

DHTiling

Mastic and Silicone are 2 different things. Silicone cures and sets to form a rubber compound - Mastic never sets but forms a skin over it to keep the water out. Mastic for use round external door frames - silicone round baths. I would think you can swap mastic for silicone but not the other way round.

Aaaah but if you was in the usa then mastic is a dispersion adhesive...:smilewinkgrin:..all in the terminolgy..

D

diamondtiling

:6:can you imagine a yank on a Uk building site,,,,,,"Say boy!! Say boy!! pass me some of that there new fangled Dispersion Adheshive"..............................SMACK!!!!!!!!

Reply to advice please..just off to do a quote in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen