Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice on herringbone pattern across old kitchen timber floor and new concrete extension floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,
We have a kitchen extension currently under way, the kitchen floor is timber and extension is concrete. Total area 50sqm
We hoped to place a herringbone pattern in wood effect tiles - size- 15x90. 6mm thick.
We are aware of the need for an expansion joint between the two substrates to help prevent cracking/tiles lifting, however we have been advised to avoid herringbone due to the possibility of the timber floor not being level which could throw the square off and cause issues in the middle?
are there any concerns with what has been said or would anyone have concerns with the projected plan? Could we level the timber floor and how would this be done?
Thanks

096284D7-EB33-4B64-89F9-A0DC348D7014.jpeg

Reaction score
This is a seriously bad floor to try and tile as a whole.
There are major issues with the gap between the 2 floors and it's not a small gap. Moreover, the difference in levels look hugely out of level.
I can't really see a solution on this one because of the vast difference in levels and the massive void between the floors. Some floors of this kind can be dealt with, but unfortunately, I would condemn this floor as unsuitable to tile as a whole floor. Think about 2 separate floors with a ramp, not using tiles.

Reaction score
Apologies I should have mentioned the cement floor hasn’t been finished yet to level with the timber!
Okay.
If you can get both the floors almost level with each other (+/- 3mm), then you could use an uncoupling mat over the entire floor before tile. I'd be thinking of quite a thick one, such as Durabase. Both floors would have to be sound (boarded over possibly with Hardibacker or other beforehand), rigid, primed and good to accept a strong bond of an uncoupling mat. The gap between the 2 floors would have to be massively worked with using every possible kind of reinforcement beforehand, and this is the major issue regarding movement. An uncoupling mat will take some lateral movement, but not more than a few mm.
Once the mat was laid, I'd advise using a fibre re-enforced levelling compound over the entire floors. Wait a week or 2, and then check for cracks in the compound. No cracks, go ahead and tile using a a high-spec flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ (CT C35 F6).

D

Danielle

Apologies I should have mentioned the cement floor hasn’t been finished yet to level with the timber!

Hi Karl,

Did you end up going ahead with the herringbone time? If yes did it work or crack?

We have the same issue.

Reply to Advice on herringbone pattern across old kitchen timber floor and new concrete extension floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock