Discuss Adjustable level in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Got a job coming up plank wood affect tiles (getting sick of the sight of them)
they want them laid herringbone ....anyone know of a decent level that you can adjust to the 45 decree angle to help keep them in line.
can't remember the last time i did a herringbone pattern....must of been with the 200x100 morazzi tiles...hated doing them then ..lol

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I was trying to find a 45 degree set square for you somewhere. You want a 2' set square. But I can't find one.

Unless you are actually talking about walls which would make more sense with the request for a level but be crazy for plank effect tiles with that pattern! surely? lol

S

Spare Tool

You'd be better off with a decent aluminum square Andy,..
Got a job coming up plank wood affect tiles (getting sick of the sight of them)
they want them laid herringbone ....anyone know of a decent level that you can adjust to the 45 decree angle to help keep them in line.
can't remember the last time i did a herringbone pattern....must of been with the 200x100 morazzi tiles...hated doing them then ..lol
Oh and that'll be 90 degrees mate, 45 you'll be in all sorts of bother ;)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Put your datum and plumb line on the floor as Dave says. Lol

Use a chalk line and a set square. And then move your square and aluminium straight edge up as you tile, sticking to the chalk line.

S

Spare Tool

Did this one last year, was mithering over it for weeks, bet I only used the square for first couple of rows then long as you keep the spacers tight(give rows a boot with a straight edge) it ain't so bad
1418405341488.jpg
1418405343650.jpg
1418405344966.jpg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Daves right...90. Degree herringbone is easy....its the 45 one that cuts the mustard. Not the kind of thing you do every day......just thought a straight edge or level you can adjust to 45 would help ..

W

WetSaw

I've seen a Spanish tiler here using a home made gauge, a triangle of 15mm ply with a handle screwed to it. He just whacked it in the corners as he laid the tiles, seemed to work!

S

Spare Tool

Daves right...90. Degree herringbone is easy....its the 45 one that cuts the mustard. Not the kind of thing you do every day......just thought a straight edge or level you can adjust to 45 would help ..
Unless I'm completely loosing my mind still can't see where a 45degee angle will help with a herringbone floor, just cuz the tiles are set at 45 to the room they still have 90 degrees between the tiles...or am I loosing the plot somewhere :|

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah make your own set square.

And remember the Pythagoras theorem.

Any unit of 3 in one direction, and any unit of 4 at a 90 degree angle, should equal 5 of the same units at their points.

image.jpg

As long as you have a tape measure, you have a massive square.

Reply to Adjustable level in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22