Discuss Adhesive Recommendation for Ceramic Tile onto Orbry Tile Backer Boards in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've a few refurbishment projects upcoming that will include floor and wall tiling and as it's not something I do very often I thought I'd register here to fill the gaps in my knowledge. So hello.

I was initially hoping for some help with choice of adhesive. Old black mortar has been removed from a bathroom returning it to bare brick. As it's a cold room at the corner of the house and the owner has had a bad experience with plasterboard in a bathroom previously we've ordered Orbry boards that I came across through this forum. Room is only 2.0x1.8m so it's not too expensive compared to a plasterboard option relative to the rest of the work. Bathroom will have a shower over bath.

Boards are to be dot, dabbed and dowelled for which I need 'suitable cement based tile adhesive'.

250x500 white ceramic tiles and some glass mosaic onto the boards.

I'd be very grateful for brand and adhesive type recommendations for the above. I appreciate it will be bagged/cement based and I will of course be selecting standard setting times not rapid.

Recommendations for a white grout would be handy too then I can order all together.

Many thanks for you help.

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Use a cement based tile adhesive. You are using ceramic and not porcelain tiles so a standard set or a ready mixed. Available through us or a local store.
Norcros one part flexible, BAL White Star or Kerakoll Biogel would all work.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Bal White star?

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, that's what I was thinking. With tiles of 250x500mm based upon what I've read on the forum I was going to select a powder adhesive.

I'm currently looking at the Norcros adhesive @ Tile Fix Direct or B&Q near me have Mapei Super Flexible however this looks like a DIY rather than a trade product so I'm not sure how it compares with the gear you pro tilers use. Accepting you likely use rapid set anyway.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Tbh I rarely use rapid set, only really when fixing cement boards.
Mainly use standard setting adhesive and semi rapid on occasion.

Reply to Adhesive Recommendation for Ceramic Tile onto Orbry Tile Backer Boards in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks