Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss 6mm or 12mm backer board? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello

I need to rip out and refit my bathroom, including retiling a bath area which will have a shower over it. I am planning to use Jackoboard for these wet areas. I am yet to see the condition of the wall below the existing tiles but am unsure as to whether I should take it back to brick and use a 12mm backer board, or leave existing plaster (obviously remove the old tiles) and use a 6mm board. Either way the boards will be mechanically fixed into solid masonry, so my thinking is that I can leave the plaster, even if it has blown or is in poor shape, as it will not be bearing any weight of the board or the tiles. This will save me time in taking all the plaster off, as well as being able to buy the thinner and cheaper board.

Is there a good reason why I shouldn't do this and instead take it back to brick and use the thicker board?

Thanks in advance

Cristian

Reply to 6mm or 12mm backer board? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock