Search the forum,

Discuss Wooden Plank Effect Floor Tile in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I agree with setting them random, but I did one recently and had some joints too close. That would be my only warning, Make sure you don't set joints too close. Looks bad with tile, not with real wood.

20151205_141354.jpg

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Years ago a customer insisted on broken / stretcher bond.... ( against manufacturers advice) Although looked OK .. As we know because of the nature ( bend ) that is common in these tiles .. A slight high spot can occur...
Deffo random is the way to go ....both for looks and finish
image.jpeg

T

Tile Shop

We've had an issue last year with a wood effect, 1200 long. The bow was out of the 2mm maximum curvature that is stipulated in BSEN14411. Problem was, we were unaware of it until the tiles had been fitted. The tiler laid them half bond and the lippage was 3mm (4mm in a couple of places).

Most of you guys have the common sense to stop and alter the design if required but this guy was an idiot who's opinion was "you gave me the tiles, I fitted 'em like you asked, so tough" without even telling the customer.

We told the customer that a the tiler should have stopped and thanks to our boss had to point out that the fitter hadn't laid the tiles to the requirements of BS5385 (1mm lip per 6mm joint). The response was "he couldn't", to which ours had to be "he could if he told you and altered the design when it became apparent". This is also a good example of where a levelling system could be handy as the tile can bend to a small extent which will be fine to hold the tile level once the addy has set.

So now we advise customers to do random or quarter bond just in case. But thankfully the rest of the wood effect we do are "almost" perfect.

The complaint was raised with the factory. The answer we got when saying that we had discovered the tiles were outside the allowance of European Standards" was "The Standards are wrong and if they had a problem they shouldn't have fitted them", then proceeded to point out the dreaded "No complaints entertained when fitted". Not very helpful.

The end result was that as a goodwill gesture, we had to take one on the chin and supplied them again from another batch (this time flat as a pancake) and the fitter agreed to lay it all again FOC.

The big issue is that alot of tiles I have seen are bowed beyond the 2mm allowance, but the factories shy away from the problem and say its a common occurrence with the manufacture. But how can they duck the problem if the tiles don't meet standards by just telling everyone to alter the design??? Surely a line has to be drawn somewhere? I don't get it.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
We've had an issue last year with a wood effect, 1200 long. The bow was out of the 2mm maximum curvature that is stipulated in BSEN14411. Problem was, we were unaware of it until the tiles had been fitted. The tiler laid them half bond and the lippage was 3mm (4mm in a couple of places).

Most of you guys have the common sense to stop and alter the design if required but this guy was an idiot who's opinion was "you gave me the tiles, I fitted 'em like you asked, so tough" without even telling the customer.

We told the customer that a the tiler should have stopped and thanks to our boss had to point out that the fitter hadn't laid the tiles to the requirements of BS5385 (1mm lip per 6mm joint). The response was "he couldn't", to which ours had to be "he could if he told you and altered the design when it became apparent". This is also a good example of where a levelling system could be handy as the tile can bend to a small extent which will be fine to hold the tile level once the addy has set.

So now we advise customers to do random or quarter bond just in case. But thankfully the rest of the wood effect we do are "almost" perfect.

The complaint was raised with the factory. The answer we got when saying that we had discovered the tiles were outside the allowance of European Standards" was "The Standards are wrong and if they had a problem they shouldn't have fitted them", then proceeded to point out the dreaded "No complaints entertained when fitted". Not very helpful.

The end result was that as a goodwill gesture, we had to take one on the chin and supplied them again from another batch (this time flat as a pancake) and the fitter agreed to lay it all again FOC.

The big issue is that alot of tiles I have seen are bowed beyond the 2mm allowance, but the factories shy away from the problem and say its a common occurrence with the manufacture. But how can they duck the problem if the tiles don't meet standards by just telling everyone to alter the design??? Surely a line has to be drawn somewhere? I don't get it.

Well how can it pass through QC and be sent out to distributors/retailers knowing full well that when they are fitted there will be a problem unless you have a 'very wide' joint

I

Italy

good paul
I is at least 30 years that I do not understand .....
manufacturers say: tilers stop and we pay the day !!!
I stopped by 4/5 times in my entire life, but no one paid day.
then of course it is always the fault of the tiler.
not I pursue speech otherwise end up in 2017.

Reply to Wooden Plank Effect Floor Tile in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen