Currently reading:
wondering how this was done

Search the forum,

Discuss wondering how this was done in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tilerjason

hi hope i can help, i sub contract for the council and your right with what you say, ideally you shouldnt tile and grout in the same day, letalone in the same hrs, but the problem is you get paid same as site work, by pre meter ( finished ), so if you only put on 4 (m2) thats £40 so most tilers try fit 2 / 3 jobs in , in a day. slap and dash , slap and dash not the best work in the world but thats what some councils and contractors require and as long as they ll take the blame if something goes wrong then whos to argue . dont get me wrong i know theres a few people out there who this will upset and yes we know its not the correct way to tile but every building site in the uk does this and most councils, hospitals, and most big companys do it this way . i personally tell the council that ill provide the materials and only use powered adhesive that way i know that the adhesive will set even if its grouted.

i often wonder is it the poorguys on the front line that are resposible for so many council cockups or are they the victims of never mind doing it properly just get it done within whatever crazy budget restraints have been handed down from on high.? as a past 60 geyser i remember when council guys were subject to a clerk of works who was all powerful.if it wasnt done right you were in big trouble.o happy days.

T

tilerjason

if your good and fast you , you ll have council and site work screaming for you as there some serious ££££££££ to be made but like i said you have to be good & fast. only advice i can give people is, if its wrong dont do it as you are still liable as your the fitter and your suppose to know better, ive had some right arguments with site agents and even had them ask me to leave sites but then been called back by them and asked to come back. its just the same as an electrician wireing a socket using the wrong cable, also its your name your putting to the job, quality should always come before quantity as we are classed as a finishing trade quality represents you

E

EH TILING

Im currently working on a social housing project and the adhesive the main contractor supplies is tubbed gear from travis perkins up until now I have been working on a day rate so I have been doing a couple per day then grouting the next but the they are introducing a target scheme as of next week where I will be on a m2 rate and the rate is for finished work thats tiled grouted and siliconed so I have my reservations on grouting same day. anybody had any problems further down the line by laying on and grouting the same day?

radim

TF
Arms
someone one i know has a cousin who had the local council install a shower then next day a tiler comes from the council and hes in there 2 hours and hes tiled the 2 walls and grouted them and everything just wondering how this is possible e.g. waterproofing tiling grouting should all be done takes a lot longer than 2 hours
tell your cousin to check if waste trap is tighten properly.my neighbour upstairs had his bath replaced.That plumber never fit trap properly so all his water from bath was comming through my ceiling.:incazzato:good luck i wasn't on holliday....

Reply to wondering how this was done in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.