Search the forum,

Discuss Whats going on !! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

m3fitter

Anybody else found that more and more full bodied porc's are too brittle, not scribing & breaking properly, even wet cutting, they are chipping off at the ends, having to wet cut from both sides to create a cut that is acceptable to the eye, to my mind these tiles are not fit for purpose, if pro tilers are having problems cutting them..

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Yes. 6 attempts at cutting a rectangle out of a 600x300 brittle porc from Topps. Also 4 attempts whilst cutting a hole for extractor fan. 10 tiles for 2 cuts!!!!!

I had to use diamond hole saws in the end.

The vibrations from the angle grinder would break the tile.
The vibrations from the wet cutter would break the tile.
Scoring straight lines on the sigma and breaking would break the end off the tile.

Score soft, score hard, breaking from the other end of the tile. I was going crazy. Luckily I could use the cuts elsewhere.

At first I thought my new Sigma (only 6 months old) was faulty.

I had to tile 3 bathrooms, walls and floors and a wc in these tiles. Not good.

B

bugs183

Try using a Montolit Squadro in your angle grinder, it's super thin and flies through the tiles, great for check outs and thin cuts, just make sure your grinder body won't be thicker than the blade as it's so small. It won't last as long as a larger wheel, but it's brilliant on those awkward tiles and cuts.

J

J Sid

Had the same problem last month, had to wet cut them all and a nightmare cutting a rectangle out for the flush. Had to drill the four corners and very gently angel grind it out, 3 attempts. Aloud 3 days for job, took 5. Give me stone please.

M

m3fitter

thanks for the tips Bugs ;-) my angle grinder blade is v.cool as looks like the Montolit, my point was that they're not scribing and snapping properly, and or wet cutting, the angle grinder will get them but its laborious :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
M

m3fitter

Cam.. sorry to butt in... I've had a problem with a polished wood effect 600x300 from Topps last week Made in Italy

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Im just curious as to what I should avoid. I had a hell of a job in Highgate which too so long due to the fact the tiles I was working with were sold to me by a Turkish bloke claiming they were of the best quality. Nice tiles however the glaze popped even when having spacers pulled out.

Its was a nightmare !

M

m3fitter

There's a lot of crap on the market... everyone's jumping on the tile bandwagon... either warped, bent, sizey, brittle.. as a punter they look at the face of the tile only, you can't blame them..

Reply to Whats going on !! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen