Search the forum,

Discuss What sheeting to use on flooring joists in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mmdowson

Hi
I am in the process of renovating my bathroom and turning it into shower room with a wet room area.

I am going to use a preformed shower tray such as a Tuff2 tray to cover the showering area with wood sheeting covering the remaining floor area. Currently the floor is covered with varnished t&g but I beleive this is not suitable to tile over. Should I use chipboard or plywood and cover this with a tanking membrane or a tile type backer board?

M

mmdowson

Thanks for all the feedback to date.

I think I did not explain myself very well initially.

I am intending to remove the varnished t&g totally then what would you recommend I replace it wiht prior to tiling?

My options as I see it are 18mm ply with a 6mm backerboard or 22-25mm ply with decoupling matting fitted prior to tiling. The showering are will be covered with a preformed tray such as a Tuff2 tray.

Is what I am proposing correct or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Reply to What sheeting to use on flooring joists in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.