Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss What about when I need to replace the tiled flooring in the future? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

rdmbfossa

We have moved into our new house and I am about to put some floor tiles down. The house flooring is 22mm water resistant chipboard. I planned to put down 6mm no more ply rather than 18mm ply to keep the finished height of the floor down to as close to carpet level as possible. Thinking of the future when my wife thinks its time for a change of decor, my question is, if the no more ply is glued/siliconed and screwed to the chipboard, I would imagine this would be difficut to remove without damaging the chipboard floor below? Would it be advisable to screw 6mm ply either below or above the no more ply so that I can get back to a flat even surface fairly easily or is this a bad idea?

bluesky

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Re: What about when I need to replace the tiled flooring in the future

nightmare to get up ! screws all covered in adhesive - glue is ultra strong .
just expect dirty ,dusty time if you need to get it up .(ever)

M

Mr Tiler

The reason you are glueing the nmp down is not for fixing purposes although it helps... It is so there are no voids between the board and substrate. If your happy that the floor is solid and perfectly flat I would suggest fixing some 6mm hardi backer cement boards rather than the nmp as I have been told it gives the best tiling surface.. But if there are and voids under the boarding it will create bounce in the floor which could result in tiles popping up/ grout cracking which would result in a large loss of money to start it all again. Its just the risk your willing to take really. Hope this helps

G

Gazzer

The reason you are glueing the nmp down is not for fixing purposes although it helps... It is so there are no voids between the board and substrate. If your happy that the floor is solid and perfectly flat I would suggest fixing some 6mm hard I backer cement boards rather than the nmp as I have been told it gives the best tiling surface.. But if there are and voids under the boarding it will create bounce in the floor which could result in tiles popping up/ grout cracking which would result in a large loss of money to start it all again. Its just the risk your willing to take really. Hope this helps

WRONG Ash. NMP relies on their own Mega Strength Adhesive. The screws are used to compress the adhesive so it spreads and expands.

M

Mr Tiler

Sorry neale didnt realise i was giving wrong advise. what do you mean though ? So is it not the same principle as backerboards? That's what happens when you fix backer down the adhesive spreads when you give the boards down while adhesive is so wet?

G

Gazzer

Maybe spend a bit more time reading the manufacturers instructions. As for Hardi Vs NMP thats your opinion. Oh hang on an opnion based on never using either ????

M

Mr Tiler

I've used backer a couple of times. And my reason for best tiling surface is based on the strong opinion on this site whenever I've saw someone asking what the best surface is I have very rarely seen nmp mentioned.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

Thats more to the fact that hardi boards are more readily available that nmp..

M

Mr Tiler

And if nmp say you have to use there very own special adhesive that would give me more reason to use hardi!

R

rdmbfossa

Thanks for replies so far. I have already purchased the NMP and adhesive, primer etc. so I will have to use it. I just wondered if there was a good way of putting the tiles down that would still allow them to be taken up without to much problems in the future, so I could re-tile or put down an alternative flooring.

S

SJPurdy

If you lay a decoupling membrane between the NMP and the tiles then I think that this would provide a weaker point for taking up the tiles in the future. However, this will add extra expense and without it I think that it will be possible to take up the NMP with only surface damage to the chipboard where the lines of mega strength adhesive and screws are. I Haven't actually taken any up, so guesswork on my part.

As for the choice of NMP with mega-strength adhesive then this is fine over a flat chipboard surface where the foaming adhesive lines set to hold the boards in place - the screws (typically about 8/120x60cm board) hold the board down to the floor so they are not lifted by the expanding adhesive lines before they set.

Had the floor been uneven so that when a dry board is laid on it there are gaps underneath then I would recommend that e.g. Hardie boards are used: Cement based adhesive is spread over the floor using a notched trowel; the boards are bedded into this (so that there are no gaps underneath and the whole board is supported) and then the boards are fixed using screws every 20cm in both directions (so about 35/120x80cm board).

Reply to What about when I need to replace the tiled flooring in the future? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks