Currently reading:
Wet Vs Dry Drilling

Discuss Wet Vs Dry Drilling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Concrete guy

It really depends what you're drilling. Assuming this is for porcelain then there is very little to beat the electroplated holesaws and a sponge on a cost per hole basis as they are disposable.

Some of the more expensive water fed systems (like Marcrsits for example) are ideal if you've got hundreds of holes to drill regularly, but can be a bit overkill for the average tiler.

On the occasions when you need to drill dry then there's always a compromise between cost of bit and number of holes it will produce. As a rule of thumb drilling dry is always going to shorten the life of any bit.

Vacuum Brazed Diamond bits designed for drilling marble also work in Porcelain to a reasonable degree. The smaller ones have wax filled centres to disperse heat.

C

Concrete guy

I would have to dig out the wired grinder as my 18v Dewalt grinder is only 7000rpm which is too slow I believe for dry hole saws.

That would probably do just fine, but a corded grinder would probably do better. Some of the cordless non branded grinders are now so cheap we have a number of customers that bought one just for holesaws and box all their bits in with the cheapie grinder to save taking blades off their their regular machine each time the wanted to drill a hole.

The M14 threaded dry bits are designed to run at 10,000 rpm but we have customers that use an M14 to Hex adapter and fit them in drills. Not recommended but it works, particularly in marble, travertine limestone etc.

M

moomarine

That would probably do just fine, but a corded grinder would probably do better. Some of the cordless non branded grinders are now so cheap we have a number of customers that bought one just for holesaws and box all their bits in with the cheapie grinder to save taking blades off their their regular machine each time the wanted to drill a hole.

The M14 threaded dry bits are designed to run at 10,000 rpm but we have customers that use an M14 to Hex adapter and fit them in drills. Not recommended but it works, particularly in marble, travertine limestone etc.
So you reakon 7000rpm would be OK then? What would it do just reduce the life of the bit?

I love my cordless! Not had it too long but it's used every day and Dewalt do a massive battery which lasts ages.
Is it the DCG412N ? just about to get one with a 5AH battery. Bought a cheapo drill with the 2 x 1.3AH from screwfix but also bought a 5AH battery , very impressed with , so now need the the grinder . My old one with 3 old 1.3AH just aint enough now .

Diggy

M

moomarine

How did it go?
Sorry for very late reply lol! Yer I use them every time but I must admit that I now tend to use my 240v grinder as it's usually already out with the diamond blades attached. The hole saws I bought have still got loads of life left in them and one of them gets used all the time!

Is it the DCG412N ? just about to get one with a 5AH battery. Bought a cheapo drill with the 2 x 1.3AH from screwfix but also bought a 5AH battery , very impressed with , so now need the the grinder . My old one with 3 old 1.3AH just aint enough now .

Diggy
Yer that is the one I have but I am using my 240v grinder a lot more at the moment because it's handy as out already with diamond blade on but the dewalt cordless is a very good bit of kit and especially handy when power is limited!

What do you use it for
I use it for holes and cuts with the diamond blade. But hasn't come out the box for a while!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Wet Vs Dry Drilling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds. Chunks of what i assume is self leveller or maybe screed (?) came up with them. Left with Concrete...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement