Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Wet Room Construction Options - Advice Pls! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

dashing66

Hi there folks, I'm a newbie to this forum so apols if I commit a gaffe or two. Quick question if I may, my plumber has offered me two choices regarding the construction of a wet room. Either Marmox sheets or moisture board which would then be tanked. After a bit of impartial advice as to which method I should go with.
Thanks in advance!
Dashing.

Reaction score
Hi Dashing & welcome to the forum.
Plumbers offering advice on wet-room construction can be a real hit or miss calculation you should make before committing to installation.
Is he competent of installing a wet room and has he a proven track record of installations previous.
Most plumbers I know should stay clear of wet room installs and without experience or wet room qualifications, should not be quoting for these jobs anyway.
In my experience most plumbers are not capable of installing wet rooms.
Right! back to your question.
If your "Plumber" has given you a choice between Marmox or moisture boards I hope your talking about wall preparation and in my opinion Marmox is superior!! However, Moisture board installed with a good tanking kit like Ardex will work fine and also should be more cost effective.
I would also recommend you should Incorporate UFH with all wetroom installations and your tiling is carried out by a competent fitter.
I honestly don't mean to give Plumbers a bad name in fitting wet rooms as I am also a plumber, but trained in Impey wet room installations, and has a proven track record to back it up.
Sorry if I give you earache in this plumber bashing and wish you well with your install.

O

One Day

It really doesn't matter what you use if it's installed incorrectly, which i have to say is so often the case when installed by anyone who hasn't had proper training. before letting anyone prepare a wetroom you would do well to ask to see his certificates of attendance on an installers course. Don't take any chances with wet area prep.

O

One Day

To answer the question though, marmox is inherently waterproof but only if all the joints and fasteners are taped and sealed. Internal corners are where most leaks will occur due to failure of the installer to prepare these properly. Also drain assembly is a weak spot and if the installation isn't 100% that can cause issues too. Simple rule is that you should be able to safely use a wet room before any tiles are fixed. If you can't, then it's not been prepared correctly.

S

SJPurdy

Many wet area fails that I have seen have been due to leaking plumbing behind the boarding - Marmox type boards will be unaffected by this and the dampness showing through other walls/ceilings will give an indication of the leak that can then be fixed. A tanked plasterboard (whatever the colour) wall with a leak behind it will just disintegrate.

Reply to Wet Room Construction Options - Advice Pls! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks