Search the forum,

Discuss weight restrictions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sapperdan

Hi Lads and lassies,
Was out pricing a job today that entails tiling over a previously tiled bathroom walled area ,17m2 in size . The client is adamant that the in-situ tiles are to stay put ( apart from the loose and broken ones) and covered with the new new ceramic tiles they have already bought.
Can anyone help supply me with the weight restrictions on a gypsum plaster wall as my research has come up with vastly differing estimates. Also what is the best material to replace the removed tiles with and what is the best surface preperation on the old tiles(dated glazed ceramic tiles) to affix the new?.
Thanks in advance Danny

W

White Room

Tiles and Adhesive Weight Per Square Metre - THE TILE SOURCE There good except for the loose ones bothers me, depending the substrate, dry linning, solid plaster or render

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

20kg (per square metre) is the limit Sapperdan, the chances are that the existing tiles will be creeping up to this limit, so loading the wall with more tiles will definitely push it well over the safe load limits. If customer insists on over tiling, I'd walk away from the job to be honest:thumbsdown:

S

sapperdan

yeah , Thanks for the replys guys , did some more research online visavie gypsum limits and the overall picture I get 8mm ceramic tiles have pretty much loaded the substrate to its limit.putting another layer of 9mm ceramic 300mm * 150mm tiles is asking for trouble.
have decided to knock the job back .
danny

D

DHTiling

Just try and have a chat with the customer again and explain your concerns....and you want to be able to do a long lasting job and that tiling over isn't the best approach..

D

david campbell

agree with dave here,it would be worth having a chat again with the customer and referring them to what whitebeam has highlighted-http://www.thetilesource.co.uk/wall-tiling-preparation/tiles-and-adhesive-per-square-metre/,as some people have heard it been done on friends houses.if you can explain the safety concerns and the fact you are unwilling to go ahead with the job it might also help them change there mind! good luck:thumbsup:

S

sapperdan

Tried to talk him round this morning into removing old tiles, explained to him the topics discussed here on this thread. Husband and wife are both adamant they do not wish the extra cost , hassle and mess of the tile removal process. Explained the risks of overloading the walls , especially to themselves, but no joy . So I suppose case and thread closed. thanks as always for the invaluable input fellas :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

david campbell

you win some and you lose some!
at least you tried m8,you never know he might come calling in the future if it all goes wrong

D

doug boardley

the annoying thing is, that he'll call another "tiler" and be told that it's not a problem at all to tile on tile in this situation:mad2:

Reply to weight restrictions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen