Search the forum,

Discuss Weight limit an issue at low tile height? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

monkeyhanger

I am doing out my bathroom in quartz 30cmx 30cm tiles which weight 2.15kg each.

Im tiling 2 tiles high around the bath (so a height of 55cm (below bath rim) to 115cm exc gaps and trim).

The wall that spans the length of the bath is plastered 12.5mm plasterboard which was cemented onto blockwork.

Does the weight rule of 20kg/m2 apply when the tiled area is only 0.6m in height?

Should I be hammer fixing some studwork to the block wall and then aquapanel on top of the studwork for the tiles to fix to? This would bring out the tiled part of the wall out by 60mm-ish, which isn't ideal.

What would a pro do for a job they'd be putting their name to - tile straight onto what's there as it's only 60cm tile height, or put the studwork in?

F

faithhealer

A brave man to admit tiling over weight but I would imagine most have 'crept' over the limit before. mmm two tiles high, would still hurt a child. I've walked away from tiling full walls before but have stuck a 200mm high stone tile for a splashback before. If I was doing it for you I would refuse.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it's just to do with falling off and hurting somebody, it's just a case of them not staying on, so there'd be no point in tiling it.

If there are no kids around, let it be and see how long they last.

T

The D

i will get hanged for saying this but i have knowingly gone over the recommended limits on several occasions. not by a lot but sill over (at the customers request) but if it was my house I'd remove the boards back to the block work and glue and screw a tile backer board.
:thumbsup:

D

david campbell

can't see it being a problem,think of the size of a full sheet of palsterboard(2,1/2m2) i think ! these weights refer to being spread over that not small areas where there is no stress above,the entire top half of the sheet will be under no stress at all

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I have never exceeded the recommended weight limits ever, ( I have my fingers crossed behind my back) I hope that counts, but seriously it can be dangerous:yikes:

D

DHTiling

It will be around 25kg with addy and grout.. not the end of the world weight wise at that height...limit is 20 kg..

T

TheTiler

I'd add to Scottleys comment - it all depends on the initial bond of board to blockwork. Which the tiler didn't do. If it was a builder who did it, I'd walk away as they think tilers are fussy.
If I was asked to tile your walls, I'd try to pull off the boards with most of my weight. I'd also make sure it wasn't lightly spot-fixed with isolated areas also.
This would probably lose me the job when I fell on my arse...

Reply to Weight limit an issue at low tile height? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen