Search the forum,

Discuss Waterproofing products used in the US in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

Hello everyone,

After meeting moderator Dave over at John Bridge's site, I came here to learn about tile setting products used in the UK.

We waterproof nearly every shower and tub surround on our jobs. The products we use the most are Schluter Kerdi, Noble Company TS membrane, and Laticrete 9235 and Laticrete Hydroban. THe two Laticrete products are liquids that are applied like a paint and cure to form a rubbery membrane. The Noble TS is a thick sheet (thicker than Kerdi by about 3 times I think) that is glued to the wall with either thinset or with a proprietary glue that Noble has.

When using Kerdi, we usually use the companion Kerdi drain for showers. For the other waterproofing products, we usually use a Noble Company shower pan liner called Chloraloy 240.

What methods are you using for waterproofing showers? I'm assuming that "tanking" means the same thing, so I am wrong just ignore this post. :surprised:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Nah you're bang-on mate. Tanking is waterproofing. That laticrete sounds like what we use liquid-wise. Ours is BAL WP1 (water protection) BAL being the brand name of the manufacturer.

We use the Schluter gear too although panel boards made from cement (with additives and strengtheners) are more commonly used I'd say here. Aquapanel is a brand name for the cement type boards. Using non-rust screws to fix them to timber frames or 'dot n dab' them to solid backgrounds / substrates.

R

Rob Z

Dan,

Now that I look at the BAL site, I remember these products...my Canadian friend Brian told me about them from his time working in England. He told me about a ready-mix product by BAl that cured to be really, really hard. The mastic that we can get here is by and large crap....I think the EPA and OSHA prevents the manufacturers from putting the good stuff in it. :whatchutalkingabout

Reply to Waterproofing products used in the US in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen