Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Wall Preperation in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

gulliver

Hi All
I took your advice and bought a big clinker tile cutter thanks, could anybody advise what I need to do to prep my bathroom walls ready for fitting porcelain tiles, the walls around the bath and sink were tiled with ceramic tiles which I have removed and cleaned off the adhesive and the rest of the walls have been painted with emulsion, the walls are plasterboard with a plaster skin and are in sound condition from when the house was built approx. 20 years ago

Thanks Paul

R

Russel

See if you can scrape off the paint and if its stuck on well then just prime and tile it.

G

gulliver

Could anybody advise whats best to prime the walls with and do I need to score the emulsion ?

Thanks

T

Time's Ran Out

The moisture from the adhesive will soften the emulsion and when it dries it loosens from the plaster. Therefore the tiles especially with a 22kg+ weight per sq mt will drop off the wall!
Tiling to skimmed plaster with that size tile is close to accepted weight limits but to emulsion is irresponsible.

D

dbstiling

Plasterboard holds 32 kg per square metre, where plaster only holds 20 kg per square metre. You might find your tiles are too heavy for the substrate.
Just spent 3 weeks in London rectifying a job where the previous company had tiled to paint.

W

White Room

If it's plasterboard then you've weakened it by scoring it, it's only the paper that gives it's strength.

U

Unused Account 1

Flexi adhesive ,sticks to most background surfaces ,sbr or primer ,that will do it

Reply to Wall Preperation in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks