Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Urgent Pro Advice needed!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Grace'sDad

Hi guys, I have called back at home specifically to ask this. I'm on a job this week and I had planned on overboarding the 5" t&g floorboards and using normal flexible adhesives and wide joint grouts. Now my customer wants to avoid raising the levels. I've never used BAL fast flex 2 part adhesive before so I don't know what to expect. I know it's very expensive but IF IT WORKS then I'll save in ply and time (some of which I can pass on to my customer). Is it suitable for cleaned, primed, 5" t&g floor boards with only a very slight deflection? For over 100years old, the floor is in good shape. I know everyone prefers to overboard, but has anyone here any experience with this? The largest area is approx 4m x 4m. Joists are at 350mm approx and of course i'll ensure all boards are well screwed down. Thanks peeps!

G

GazTech

Hi guys, I have called back at home specifically to ask this. I'm on a job this week and I had planned on overboarding the 5" t&g floorboards and using normal flexible adhesives and wide joint grouts. Now my customer wants to avoid raising the levels. I've never used BAL fast flex 2 part adhesive before so I don't know what to expect. I know it's very expensive but IF IT WORKS then I'll save in ply and time (some of which I can pass on to my customer). Is it suitable for cleaned, primed, 5" t&g floor boards with only a very slight deflection? For over 100years old, the floor is in good shape. I know everyone prefers to overboard, but has anyone here any experience with this? The largest area is approx 4m x 4m. Joists are at 350mm approx and of course i'll ensure all boards are well screwed down. Thanks peeps!
you will be fine...prime all boards in APD, then back butter the tiles also, wide joint grout with GT1 is essential.....Gaz

G

GazTech

yea...got 1 or two health problems at the moment.....but I will bounce back........boing lol

G

grumpygrouter

I can concurr with Gaz, Gracies Dad. I used Fastflex on two small bathroom floors. Messy stuff though, you need to clean as you go along, the stuff gets every where! I discovered after I did my jobs that my 6mm trowel was actually too big. BAL make a trowel specifically for this with special extended ribs at the end to provide a 4mm solid bed fixing.

Next time I (HAVE TO) use fastflex I will use a 4.5mm trowel!

Also check out Ardex 7001, does the same thing only single part.

Good luck.

Grumpy

G

Grace'sDad

Thanks Grumpy, So I can't use a standard floor trowel? I assume if a put down a solid bed and then comb with a 4mm floor trowel this means I'll have to back butter the tiles too?! Why not a normal 12mm floor trowel?

G

Gazzer

Just a little tip when using this method and if you have the time is to mix the adhesive and go over the area to be tiled with the adhesive. Use the back of your trowel or a plastering trowel. This will fill any cuping in the boards and the following day laying the tiles will be easier and a lot less messy.

G

grumpygrouter

Thanks Grumpy, So I can't use a standard floor trowel? I assume if a put down a solid bed and then comb with a 4mm floor trowel this means I'll have to back butter the tiles too?! Why not a normal 12mm floor trowel?
because it is really really soft stuff, when you bed the tile into the adhesive is squirts out through the grout lines like whipped cream. Because it is soft, it increases the coverage to pretty much 100% if trowelled right.

This is the trowel I am talking about.

Grumpy

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grace'sDad

I just finished fixing total of 18sqm today. Lovely stuff it is too (although a tad messy). I've not used it before but will definitely use it again. I can see it replacing the usual over-boarding in some cases now. It's expensive but compared to overboarding; materials and time, it has saved me money on this job.

Sir Ramic's advice to fill the cupping on the boards was one of the simplest and best pieces of advice I've ever had! Made the job go so much better - Thanks:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
because it is really really soft stuff, when you bed the tile into the adhesive is squirts out through the grout lines like whipped cream. Because it is soft, it increases the coverage to pretty much 100% if trowelled right.

This is the trowel I am talking about.

Grumpy

Had to remove that picture of the trowel as it has a brand logo on it. I'll try and find an original trowel but for future reference they're made by Benson Industried Ltd and NETT stock their trowels.

H

Holohana

This works i the same way as BAL Fastflex 2 part?
----
I can concurr with Gaz, Gracies Dad. I used Fastflex on two small bathroom floors. Messy stuff though, you need to clean as you go along, the stuff gets every where! I discovered after I did my jobs that my 6mm trowel was actually too big. BAL make a trowel specifically for this with special extended ribs at the end to provide a 4mm solid bed fixing.

Next time I (HAVE TO) use fastflex I will use a 4.5mm trowel!

Good luck.

Grumpy

Aredx 7001 single part works the same way as BAL Fastflex 2 part?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

This works i the same way as BAL Fastflex 2 part?
----

Aredx 7001 single part works the same way as BAL Fastflex 2 part?
Not sure what you are asking Holohana mate.

Grumpy

H

Holohana

Does Ardex 7001 work in the same way as the Fastflex and latex adative?

i:e can you use the Ardex 7001 product on a brand new property and brand new floorboard floor with virtually no flex in it?

Will save £000's against two part!

The Ardex spec suggests so but will also ring their tech help line tomorrow!

Reply to Urgent Pro Advice needed!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks