Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss UFH and Tiling over Suspended timber floor in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I am renovating and extending my 1930s property. for the rear extension part, I am looking to go with water underfloor heating and porcelain tiles. I would like to go with the same for the existing floor space as well.

I have been proposed the following options for the retrofit:
a.WundaTherm :
1. Put 20mm boards on top of existing floorboards
2. Put in the UFH pipe
3. Put a mat/membrane and tile over that

b.NuHeat:
1. Remove the Floorboards
2. Insulate and then put 25mm boards on top of hoises
2. Put in the UFH pipe
3. Put a mat/membrane and tile over that

c. My Builder:
He is saying all the above are not long term solutions and the best option is to remove joists, pour concrete and make the floor like new and then put the UFH .

I have around 40sqm of space with old suspended timber floor and new extension area of 40sqm . I am a bit confused on the best way forward.
Can someone please advise ?

70BS_UFH_System Details.jpg

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
there are simply loads and loads of options. Sometimes choice is a good thing...sometimes there is too much choice. :)

If your timber joists are equivalent to minimum 220mm I-joists (i think that would equate to 6x2" solid joists but double check) spaced at maximum 600mm centres with no more than 4.8m clear span you could use Gypsol TimBRE flowing screed over the timber floors and run it straight through into the new extension area. Gypsol TimBRE is specifically designed and tested for use over timber and with underfloor heating. You'd need on top of the joists a minimum 18mm chipboard deck or t&g floor boards would suffice. If you use a 12mm UFH pipe you would be able to place just 37mm of screed or with a 16mm pipe you'd need 41mm of screed. If you want to look at this as an option give me a call on 07966651006 and I can sort you more info.

Reply to UFH and Tiling over Suspended timber floor in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock