Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Trowel notch size for 305x305 travertine & calculating adhesive depth in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

davemul

Good afternoon,

I need to calculate the thickness of adhesive once wall tiles are laid (for corner basin mounting)

Tiles are 305 x 305 trav, 10mm thick.

I have these trowels from my bathroom job. the square notch is 10mm and i think the slanted notch is 12

EDIT, i also have a 6mm notched trowel.

If 8mm is reccomended, ill go out and get one when i pick up the bag of adhesive

Question 1 - Which one should I use for the trav wall tiles? 6, 10 or slanted

Question 2 - What would the thickness of adhesive be once tiles are on the wall using the correct trowel? (I will be back buttering the trav too)

Thanks all
Dave

6AbEFb8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Re: Trowel notch size for 305x305 travertine & calculating adhesive de

Dependant on the state of your walls it could vary. I use a selection of trowels sometimes.

Personally id be using a 10mm for stone on the walls.

The finished depth wil sink to 4/5mm imo.

How many m2 are you tiling?

D

DHTiling

If the walls are flat , then an 8mm is good to go and a light back skim for contact , bed will be around 2mm to 3mm if you bed in tight.

D

davemul

Hi gents, its only a 4m2 job. (half a cloakroom WC)

might stick with the 10mm. Nothings ever been straight in this house :)

thank you
Dave

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score

I'm with Dave (not literally :eek: )

I use 8mm for trav that size. Youll be ok with your 10 though. Set in well and if you butt the stone together before adding your spacing you can mop up any excess as it squeezes through.
Im sure you know to back skim the stone and use a white adhesive.

D

davemul

Thanks very much gents :hurray:

Hi Allister, yes white flexible cement based adhesive (BAL or mapei), back butter and i will seal the stone before grouting (its filled trav already)

Oh, forgot...

I need to drill a few holes, i have some porsadrills left. I assume these will be ok.

I also assume cutting will be with a wet cutter or angel grinder? I'll prob need a new blade. any rec's?

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sean SML Tiling

Try alan at ats diamond tools hes on ebay. Great products at brilliant prices :thumbup:

P

Protilers

I use a 10x10 sq notch "almost" all the time these days.....

back butter the trav (white addy) and the finished bed after rubbing in will be 4-5mm IMO

all the best

Lee

T

tilerbarry

Diatech Scotland have got some cracking 115mm porcelain dry cut blades

Reply to Trowel notch size for 305x305 travertine & calculating adhesive depth in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks