Search the forum,

Discuss Trowel for Mosaics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Big Rick

I tiled the floor in my ensuite/wetroom yesterday ( 600 x 400 slate set with Keraquick mixed with latex) I am going to do the mosaics today in the shower area and was wondering if I need to use a smaller notched trowel?
I used an 8mm for th ebulk of the floor but i fear if i use this in the 50x50 mosaics then loads of addy will come up through the joints?

Pointers please......

Im also gonna start the walls today - same large slate stuck with P9 so if theres anything on that to watch out for then......

Thanks All!

B

Big Rick

and just have a little step where they meet the main floor tiles - or i suppose I could "ramp it up"

B

Big Rick

Its the whole of the shower area floor that sgoing to be in mosaics - not just a strip though... (origional post not clear - sorry)
Area around 1.4 m2
is it a case of using a 4 or 6mm trowel - bedding up a bit where it meets the main floor tiles and just being really careful to clean all the gaps as i go??

D

doug boardley

what about a tanking membrane in the shower area Rick, this will take up some of the depth needed to pull your mosaics flush, (if I've visualised it right)

D

doug boardley

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pigKorqimGk]YouTube - Durabase wp wet room tanking membrane dura-wp[/ame]

B

Big Rick

Hi guys - thanks for all the replys.

Doug - I've tanked the whole floor with tilesafe so doesnt do anything to make up the level difference,

My thinking at the moment is to use a 6mm trowel at 45 degrees - to give a bed of around 4mm overall - at the join between the mosaic and the larger tiles il just ramp it a little - dont think this will be a bad think as it will add to the fall of the "wet" area.

D

doug boardley

aah! I thought the mosaics were going on the wall along with floor grade tiles:oops::lol:, ( the joys of reading posts when you have a 3 year old boy climbing on your shoulders:smilewinkgrin:)

Reply to Trowel for Mosaics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen