Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Trowel for Mosaics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Big Rick

I tiled the floor in my ensuite/wetroom yesterday ( 600 x 400 slate set with Keraquick mixed with latex) I am going to do the mosaics today in the shower area and was wondering if I need to use a smaller notched trowel?
I used an 8mm for th ebulk of the floor but i fear if i use this in the 50x50 mosaics then loads of addy will come up through the joints?

Pointers please......

Im also gonna start the walls today - same large slate stuck with P9 so if theres anything on that to watch out for then......

Thanks All!

B

Big Rick

and just have a little step where they meet the main floor tiles - or i suppose I could "ramp it up"

B

Big Rick

Its the whole of the shower area floor that sgoing to be in mosaics - not just a strip though... (origional post not clear - sorry)
Area around 1.4 m2
is it a case of using a 4 or 6mm trowel - bedding up a bit where it meets the main floor tiles and just being really careful to clean all the gaps as i go??

D

doug boardley

what about a tanking membrane in the shower area Rick, this will take up some of the depth needed to pull your mosaics flush, (if I've visualised it right)

D

doug boardley

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pigKorqimGk]YouTube - Durabase wp wet room tanking membrane dura-wp[/ame]

B

Big Rick

Hi guys - thanks for all the replys.

Doug - I've tanked the whole floor with tilesafe so doesnt do anything to make up the level difference,

My thinking at the moment is to use a 6mm trowel at 45 degrees - to give a bed of around 4mm overall - at the join between the mosaic and the larger tiles il just ramp it a little - dont think this will be a bad think as it will add to the fall of the "wet" area.

D

doug boardley

aah! I thought the mosaics were going on the wall along with floor grade tiles:oops::lol:, ( the joys of reading posts when you have a 3 year old boy climbing on your shoulders:smilewinkgrin:)

Reply to Trowel for Mosaics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks