Currently reading:
Travertine project advice needed.

Discuss Travertine project advice needed. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ohhnoo

New on here so Hello everyone.

About to embark on my biggest tiling project to date and think I have just about everthing sorted after reading through the forums so just looking for advice to make sure I'm doing things correctly.

A bit of background first, all old plaster removed down to the brick, I then decided to remove the breeze block internal wall which was loose and replaced it with a strong stud wall, this is where the shower valve and head are fitted.
Dot and dabbed on moisture resistant pb then taped all joints and filled with tile adhesive, then wet areas tanked with homelux membrane.
Next up came the old floorboards, after all plumbing in place added loads of noggins to stop flexing. I didn't want the floor level too high so down went 18mm marine ply screwed down every 120mm.The floor is rock solid with no noticeable flex.

The tiles for the walls and floor I bought are 27m2 of classic honed and filled travertine 610mmx405mm 12mm thick with mosiac noce/light travertine border tiles each piece of which measures 45mm square. The flexible adhesive I bought is ultra proset sp +es white.

Now to the things I'm not sure about.

I've read the ply floor underside and edges should have been sealed is this nessesary with marine grade ply.After the first fix electrics/plumbing in place dot and dabbed on moisture r

The wife wants brick pattern on the floor and walls with a vertical line of border tiles running up through where the shower valve is fitted and horizontal line running around the room, will I encounter any problems doing this pattern, I made sure the plasterboard was as flat and true as possible.

Which adhesive trowel size is best, from what I've read 10mm half round seems to be the way to go.

I was going to use 2mm spacers on the walls will they be ok for the floor or should they be bigger.

Which colour grout suits classic travertine best, I thought ivory but the wife thinks limestone. Can I use wall grout for the floor tiles or does it have to be floor grout

lithofin stainstop mn sounds like a good product for sealing the tiles but when should I seal, Some say seal before the tiles are fitted and then after grouting. then I read seal after the tiles are fitted the again after grouting which seems more sensible to me.

Sorry for such a long first post hope you can help.

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome...:thumbsup:

The wall prep seems to be fine...adhesive seems fine..not one i have used...

Mapei ultra colour grout is suitable for the walls and floor , so there will be no colour difference which you can get if using seperate grouts for wall and floor..

On the ply floor personally i would use an un-coupling membrane..stones like travertine might crack at the board joints with lateral stress..so best to be safe than sorry..

The brick pattern is fine but as you say easier if the substrates are flat..10mm half round is spot on..:thumbsup:

As for joint size...i would use 2mm for both but some like 3mm on floors....make sure you leave perimeter expansions and silicone these..

Sealer..?...Lithofin is great...as you are new to stone then fix the tiles and leave to dry..make sure they are clean and 1 coat of sealer..do not leave any to dry on the surface that has not soaked in....then grout after the spec'd time onthe bottle...make sure all is clean and dry the another coat of sealer...

good luck..:thumbsup:

O

ohhnoo

I'm a little confused about your external wall/s!?! You took out the inner block wall? Were there not ties attaching it to the external leaf? What did you dot and dab the PB to? I'm just a little concerned (probably unnecessarily) about the structural integrity, and possible damp implications... Hopefully i'm just misunderstanding what you're saying. :thumbsup:

The block wall was internal and was simply mounted onto floor boards and vaguely tied into the external wall. while I was removing the plaster noticed it was loose so decided to take it down and build a stud wall which would also make plumbing in the thermostatic shower easier. I then fixed moisture board to it with screws and then dot and dabbed on moisture board to the remaining 3 walls.

D

diamondtiling

We just sent a pallet back as it was setting in the time it took to take the bucket of fresh mix to the tiles :yikes:.

Im sure it was a freak batch though.

Hi Bolter, I had the same problem myself. Dave the national accounts manager was insisting it was my mixing and that really made me :mad2:,
It was only when another tiler had the same problem that he rang me back to say sorry, in fairness though he did send me 16 bags for nothing. They had 8 pallets that had been mixed in-correctly. The stuff they sent out was fine.

:thumbsup:

B

Bolter

Hi Bolter, I had the same problem myself. Dave the national accounts manager was insisting it was my mixing and that really made me :mad2:,
It was only when another tiler had the same problem that he rang me back to say sorry, in fairness though he did send me 16 bags for nothing. They had 8 pallets that had been mixed in-correctly. The stuff they sent out was fine.

:thumbsup:

Yea same, they told us we were mixing it wrong :mad2:

But they sorted it out, so its all cool :)

Reply to Travertine project advice needed. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.