Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling window reveals in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SB4U

Hi Fellas. I've (nearly) finished tiling my en-suite walls now and want to start on the window reveals soon. Do you have any hints or tips for a nice looking finish?

As recommended in a previous post of mine, I pulled the bottom tiles up above the window sill (by up to 10mm at its worst), and I also pulled the top tile down a bit on one side to level the head up. I didn't pull the sides in though so they're level with the reveal. Should I try to use tile adhesive to pack the head and sill level with the edge of the tile in advance, let it go off then tile on it as normal? Or just try to pack it out as I go?

I was planning on using some trim too if that's relevant. Either a curved trim or a flat straight-edge stainless steel effect.

I've added some pics in case that helps you visualise.

Steve

WP_20150826_14_31_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20150826_14_30_37_Pro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P

p4ulo

Go for flat-edged stainless trim, the curved stuff looks a bit 90's nowadays. (and I find it harder to get it to all line up).
Get yourself a decent mitre box / or mitre saw, and measure twice and cut once!
Measure the cut the bottom trim first, deciding whether you want a gap between it and tile, or you want it to butt-up.
Butt up looks better IMHO, but its hard to get it spot on.
Work from the bottom up. It's trickey, and depending on how quick your adhesive goes off, you might want to cut and fit the bottom tiles and trim before doing the rest of it.....Good luck, keep the pictures coming!

S

SB4U

Thanks @p4ulo. The adhesive I'm using is pretty slow set, which is just as well considering all the faffing I do, so hopefully it'll give me time to get it looking ok. Do you think I should pack out level to the tile edge first? I'm thinking that might make it easier to get the tiles level.

P

p4ulo

Yeah, I would mate. Take your time, small batch of adhesive, and make sure you get the adhesive bed flat and level with tiles before you start the big faff.
Good luck.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd pack the bottom tiles up a bit to hide that ridge on the plastic in the window frame. Make it nice and equal around the whole window.

S

SB4U

Reasonably pleased with how it turned out. Just got to grout it of course. Couldn't pack the tiles up enough to hide the ridge unfortunately Dan.

Luckily this photo is sufficiently blurred so that you can't see the lippage between the trim and some of the tiles so I've totally got away with that.

WP_20150910_20_27_55_Pro__highres.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tiling window reveals in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen