Currently reading:
Tiling Tools Survey

Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Tools Survey in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

I was talking to deano last week and we were talking about the tools we'd bought over the years. some of which dont get used and some have been brilliant, so what could you get by with as the bare essentials

example:
god forbid, you get your van cleaned out tonight, all your luxury stuff gone like your fein, dewalt, laser levels etc etc, what could you actually get by on.

i'd have the following....
box of tools, ie hand scribe, sliding bevel, hammer, hack saw, nippers, mastic gun, tapes, knife etc etc
75cm cutter
angle grinder with a decent blade
buckets & sponges
6ft feather edge
couple of stabila levels,
serrated trowels,
£100 mixer
18v drill
budget diamond hole saw from ebay
budget wet saw with decent blade for splash backs and bathrooms

would really love everybody to get in on this whether you are new, old school or whatever. ;0) your essential list is what i am looking for..

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

Before I got a bit of cash behind me and invested in the mega money tools, I did everything with a Rubi TR60 and a grinder. With the right blade, a grinder is the best tool in my budget list. My list would be;

6/10mm trowels
600mm level
5m tape measure
mixing bucket
couple of buckets and sponges
chalk line
2/3/4mm spacers
cheap mixer (Aldi £40)
nippers
couple of grout floats
10 pencils for a quid from pound stretcher
grinder & blade
big clinker

I reckon with those few bits I could produce the same quality work, just not as quickly. I'd say that lot would be about £350ish.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Ed as you know I started tiling when Queen Victoria was on the throne. I used to load up my hand cart with my canvas tool bag, and trudge fifty miles to my place of work. But seriously I think I could manage with a pin hammer, tungsten tipped chisel, a pair of nippers and a hand scribe. But I am glad I have a van full of tools, even though I can never find what I need, anyone who has seen my van will understand.

Ste-G

TF
Arms
Merseyside
Ed as you know I started tiling when Queen Victoria was on the throne. I used to load up my hand cart with my canvas tool bag, and trudge fifty miles to my place of work. But seriously I think I could manage with a pin hammer, tungsten tipped chisel, a pair of nippers and a hand scribe. But I am glad I have a van full of tools, even though I can never find what I need, anyone who has seen my van will understand.
I was wondering if anyone would mention the trusted tungsten tipped chisel. Before I saved up for my first sigma "cutting length 320mm" that was big enough for everything then. Tungsten chisel and pin hammer was normal, look how far we've come.

Reply to Tiling Tools Survey in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.