Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
especially when theres some A1 tilers out there short of work...:incazzato:

can i ask, was this tiler recomended to you?....did you get more than one qoute?

if your not happy with the job (and looking at the pics, i dont think anyone would be) then i would stop at nothing to get you money back..

J

Jackie0802

Get some quotes to re-do the lot and approach the cowboy to foot the bill.

I have the new tiler and the job set up to start on the 22nd. I have offered the original tiler a deal to pay half of the cost to replace them, but that is on condition that the deal is accepted without going to court. The reason that the work is not already underway is because I have offered the tiler the opportunty to send their own representative to inspect the floor on their behalf and I gave them 14 days to do this. I want to be fair and reasonable, and I also want the tiler to be the same to me. I have offered the deal not becuse I don't think I would win in court but only because it is going to cost (the most recent estimate) £6K to put this right and I realise that this is a substantial amount for the tiler to pay so I am willing to cut my losses and meet them half way. But that's a short term offer, if it's not accepted I will reluctantly sue for the whole job.

M

Marvo

Are there any tiling-specific British Standards or any other standards for that matter that tilers are required to work to?

Are tilers officially certified in any way as being competant or being of a certain legally recognised professional standard? Is the trade regulated legally in any way?

Are there official qualifications a tiler can hold that would set him apart as being better that others?

Please don't take this question the wrong way, I'm genuinely interested.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
BS5385 if I remember rightly. British standards in wall and floor tiling. Yeah.

There's a lot of surface types (plaster, plasterboard, concrete, tongue and groove, ply, then tile boards etc etc, and even existing tiles) that we tile to. And a lot of tile types that have different adhesion properties. So full-bodied (or full vitrified) porcelain doesn't really absorb water, so standard adhesives don't bond to it well, you need one with polymer additives in, or whatever it is.

Ceramics with a 'biscuit' backing adhere to anything though.

Times are changing these days. People want heated floors tiled on timber of some form with huge tiles. And if they're translucent, you need light coloured adhesive and then skim the tiles individually as well as trowelling the surface.

BS states that tiles should only have a certain mm undulation over a 2m length too, and states that you need certain mm grout joints for walls and floors (2mm for walls, 3mm for floors i think I is, lads?).

So yeah, might not be as technical as electrical (you don't get killed sticking tiles in water either) but you can get sued just as easy if you screw up.

Last edited:
J

J Sid

Hi Marvo
Yes as Dan says, there is a British Standard covering things to know. I believe this is published by a public body, but sadly it will you cost you may thousands of pounds to own it.
Yes there are qualifications you can get, but from I have seen this will not mean you able to tile to a very high standard.

I have noticed that if you get a qualification in painting and decorating you will be well placed to get more tiling work than you will need. ;)

J

Just Rizzle

I started tiling in 1982 working for a building firm in Hartlepool then in 85 moved to woking in surrey where I started working as a subby .first big job was expanding a prison complex at Feltham spent 2years tiling there had home office clark of works who were real ba/ards work had to bespot on ie 3mm over 3mts or it was up and had to do again it was also sand and cement work no addhesives .
33yrs on and still going and learning some thing new every day. the thing with this trade is experience is more important imho than any thing you learn on a basic 2 week training course took a guy on once had a piece of paper that said he could tile. had to rip it all out and re do lesson learnt .
wish I had a pound for every tile ive fixed would be a multi millionaire by now

M

Marvo

I downloaded the BS5385-1 to 5 to check it out and I was very surprised how specific and extensive the regs are. There's a regulation about lots of things that I always thought might be down to customer taste or just the preference of the tiler or even the manufacturer etc. I glanced through some of them and I even learned a few things in the process, I now know what 'spatterdash' is for example so every day is a school day I guess.

I

Ian

I downloaded the BS5385-1 to 5 to check it out and I was very surprised how specific and extensive the regs are. There's a regulation about lots of things that I always thought might be down to customer taste or just the preference of the tiler or even the manufacturer etc. I glanced through some of them and I even learned a few things in the process, I now know what 'spatterdash' is for example so every day is a school day I guess.
Did you have to pay for the download?

M

Marvo

Erm, not as such. It's legal where I am as long as I don't use or distribute for profit. I'm pretty sure this isn't the case in the UK though.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Nah we can get a slapped wrist if we lend a copy to somebody over here lol

J

J Sid

That's just fluffing great, those who need it pay thousands, those who don't get it for free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks