Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rich

Min of 15mm BWP ply and then 6mm cement board, really not worth messing about with. Also might need to add some extra noggins before the ply goes down. Seal the underside and edges of the ply, leave a 2-3mm joint between the boards (that should be staggered) and screw down about every 200mm centers. The cement boards will need sticking down with either tile adhesive or glue, depending on the brand of boards, and then screwed down. Then you should be good to rock and roll :thumbsup:

C

Carpello

Just had a chat with a rep from a tile shop and he says.......'no need to glue/adhesive Hardi Backer down, but 200-300mm centres a must'

It seems within this industry, from top to bottom, everyone has good advice which often conflicts with others good, advice.

Im certainly not looking to cut corners in anyway but is with 200mm centre screws into the Backer board is there any need for glue/adhesive??

C

Carpello

I phoned a popular tile shop who stock Hardi, so im guessing he is not that experienced in actually using the materials he is selling.
And by 'voids in the board' do you mean between the backer board and ply below....?

R

Rich

Yeah, you dont want any voids between the cement boards and the ply below, these can cause the tiles to crack and lift.
Most staff (not all) get plenty of training in how to sell products but very few of them have ever used them. This isnt an opinion thing, this is the manufacturers installation instructions. Iv seen a lot of trades and customers lay these boards and just screw them down because they havnt looked into how to lay them and it usually ends in tears.

C

Carpello

Brilliant advice, thank you. Just need to gather as much info as possible as this will add time to the job which will need to be explained correctly to the customer. I would rather take a bit longer knowing i am in line with manufacturers installation instructions etc.
So, just re capping (excuse my ignorance!) if i lift the existing tiles and board with it this will more than likely leave me with exposed joists?? I then put down a marine plywood 15mm min thickness (screwed into joists) then tile adhesive with 6mm Backer board on top..........???

C

Carpello

Nice one!! This may explain a few things......the house is 15yrs old, so fairly modern. The existing grout is starting to crack which is what set the alarm bells ringing when pricing up the job.
I have also heard of other people in the area with similar problems in upstairs bathrooms. Im now thinking when they built the house they prob just tiled directly onto plywood of some sort and now experiencing similar problems which your thread relates to.
That thread is spot on and will now give me confidence to explain to customers on why my quotes include extra time to prepare the floor and confidence when i walk away knowing i have done everything correctly.
Once again....that thread is quality.
Thanks for your time

R

Rich

Nice one!! This may explain a few things......the house is 15yrs old, so fairly modern. The existing grout is starting to crack which is what set the alarm bells ringing when pricing up the job.
I have also heard of other people in the area with similar problems in upstairs bathrooms. Im now thinking when they built the house they prob just tiled directly onto plywood of some sort and now experiencing similar problems which your thread relates to.
That thread is spot on and will now give me confidence to explain to customers on why my quotes include extra time to prepare the floor and confidence when i walk away knowing i have done everything correctly.
Once again....that thread is quality.
Thanks for your time

I will put money on it being chipboard, see it all the time. Builders dont like to pay for ply and just get the tiler to tile straight onto chipboard because its cheap and then the floor fails :mad2:

Really glad that we have helped, thats what the site is for :thumbsup:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I agree with Rich on this spot on advice. I recently ripped up 3 bathroom floors in the same house. The builder had told the customer he had installed a special backer-board, imported from the US. When I lifted the first tile ( using a scraper, and very little force) low and behold, what do I find? chipboard,:mad2:

T

The D

Broken Link Removed * *

in my humble opinion it is better to have a belt and braces than have your pants puled down. *

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kopthis

does the british standard allow tolerances in regard to tile lippage I have laid tiles on the wall, customer was shown tiles were of poor quality and had a bow in them but insisted that I proceed to lay them with 2mm spacers now is crying foul thanks

K

kopthis

no just on top of each other would not normally lay them but customer insisted as she wanted the job doing asap

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks