Discuss Tiling onto plaster board? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,

I've made my previous extension room slightly smaller to accommodate for downstairs bathroom which includes shower, toilet, sink vanity unit etc...

The shower enclosure area has the green plaster board other parts have white plaster board. The guy has just told me that he will be tiling straight onto plaster board.

My question is what is the right way to go about tiling onto plaster board or skimming plaster board first and then tile onto?

Reaction score
I recently refitted my ensuite bathroom and did a hell of a lot of research before doing so as I am not a professional bathroom installer. However, I think I learned enough to know now that tiling onto plasterboard is not a great idea even if it's been skimmed. At a minimum, I would expect your fitter to "tank out" the wet areas if he/she goes ahead with that (waterproofing the wet areas). As a preference, I would spend a bit more on the job and ask the fitter to use Abacus Elements waterproof backer boards (or similar) and have the job done properly. There are some great videos on this on the Skill Builder channel on YouTube. I learned so much from those videos and also from THIS great channel and the guys who contribute here.

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with tiling direct to pb unless the tiles or stone weigh over 32 kg a m2(this includes for Addy +grout).
Deffo tank any wet areas first to make sure water can't absorb into the pb

Reply to Tiling onto plaster board? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks