Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling on wooden frame in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Raj Virky

Hi Tilers, About to tackle the biggest job left, the kitchen tiling with 60 x 30 porc. with electric ufh/insulation boards and with flexible addy. However there is a wooden patio frame in the way which i'm going to cut into for the right depth(flush with insulation board, any lower would be even harder.) So a small part of the tile would end up on top of the frame. Pic. below. A few ideas are:

1. Use a decoupling membrane, but for such a small area?
2. Its such a small area forget about it or
3. Tile up to the frame and cut a smaller tile here (7cm x 30/60) and silicone every grout joint around them.

Tiles are RAK polished black. with none/negligible bowing, did see another batch that was out 1mm both sides though. Thanks for reading.

IMG_20121101_211526.jpg

R

Raj Virky

Hi thanks Gary yes it does. It's about 2m wide. I would like to tile up the the metal rim. Cheers

IMG_20121105_233342.jpg

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would personally tile to the frame and the get a piece of pvc,metal or wood to match the excisting frame.

Had the same in my own house ,had a wooden threshold Tiles finished above the threshold so i got a piece of 4" skirting and stuck it over, then stained it to match.

B

bugs183

I'm with MZ, if you tile over the wood there will be a tile edge against the aluminium frame and it looks like it will be higher, so it will look a bit strange.
More importantly, will you be levelling over your underfloor heating before fixing the tiles. Don't try bedding the tiles onto adhesive as it is, you will get a poor mechanical key to the floor, and the mat if not 100% covered in adhesive could give hot spots or even burn out.

R

Raj Virky

Thanks for the replies fellas. I didn't see any replies before and just went ahead and started. Most recommend self levelling but i didnt because the stuff i used under the insulation mats wasnt good enough. Anyway i've been tiling very slowly trying to ensure a full bed of adhesive. Its bloody hard work especially when you put too much adhesive down. In some low areas I've smeared rapidset over the cables and stray matting- basically covering them fully. If i mess it up, well only myself to blame. There is another room that has more height to play with which i will be self levelling. I've built most of the extension and can say that tiling has been the toughest part of it. building walls is a breeze :lol:

The tiling trim/pvc/ panel of wood sounds a good alternative. The tile does mate slightly lower than the aluminium frame though.

Reply to Tiling on wooden frame in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks