Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on wood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tlm

Hi I'm new to this and could really do with some advice about tiling a kitchen floor. We have tiled on top of tongue and groove waterproof chipboard flooring, "wyrock" which we then primed with pva 5 parts to one, before laying ceramic tiles with what we understood was flexible adhesive. Since then the tiles are coming loose and the grout is cracking out. we are not sure of the best way to solve the problem, whether it's the adhesive/grout we used or to wood flooring underneath. Also could we just tile over it or do we need to pull them up and start from scratch???

S

shaunykieron

have a look at this mate one of the other lads brought it to the attention of the forum recently.

How to tile floor susing the Schluter Ditra Matting. Well worth watching guys and gals!
----
Added post information (due to double posting):
----
"Schluter®-DITRA is used as a waterproofing and uncoupling membrane for use in Tile and Natural Stone installations over plywood and concrete.

Visit http://www.schluter.com/eng...
for more info
Schluter®-DITRA is a polyethylene membrane with a grid structure of square, cut-back cavities and an anchoring fleece laminated to its underside. In conjunction with tiled coverings, Schluter®-DITRA forms an uncoupling, waterproofing, and vapor pressure equalization layer. "
----
sorry didn't work on the search funtion on the home page type in ditra matting the link should then come up its a clip from u tube

Last edited by a moderator:
C

calculator

It is possible to tile directly onto tongue and grove wooden floors by using a highly polymer-modified 2-part adhesive, providing that the floor is rigid enough and the tongue and grove joints provide good support. If the tile sare larger than 400mm square, overboarding is recommended. The floor must be well ventilated underneath and level. Screw the boards down to the joists with two screws (every joist) Fix extra noggins if necessary if there is movement. Fix small tiles with 5mm thick but for larger tiles it is necessary to increase the bed thickness may be necessary to back butter each tile to do this.. Leave at least 3mm wide for grouting and make provission for movement around perimertier. Sorry but you need to lift loose tiles, I would lift all and start again.

G

GazTech

Hi I'm new to this and could really do with some advice about tiling a kitchen floor. We have tiled on top of tongue and groove waterproof chipboard flooring, "wyrock" which we then primed with pva 5 parts to one, before laying ceramic tiles with what we understood was flexible adhesive. Since then the tiles are coming loose and the grout is cracking out. we are not sure of the best way to solve the problem, whether it's the adhesive/grout we used or to wood flooring underneath. Also could we just tile over it or do we need to pull them up and start from scratch???
plz explain size of room and how stable the floor is ?....Gaz

T

Tlm

Thanks for all the advice, the size of the kitchen is 4metres x 9 metres and it's an extension that someone previously built onto an old victorian terrace. This means we don't have any floor joists to fix boards to, the floor under tongue and groove chipboard is polystyrene with a waterproof membrane under and then sand so also not well ventilated. There is quite a lot of movement. We've also fitted a kitchen on top before realising the extent of the problem so can't rip up entire floor easily, is it now best to call it a day and go for a different floor covering???

Reply to Tiling on wood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.