Search the forum,

Discuss Tiles coming up months after installation in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

i have three property lets that are constructed with water underfloor heating under a chipboard floor that is supported on beams. There is little to no deflection of the floor when standing on it. The floor is 18mm flooring grade chipboard.
The first floor was tiled 2 years ago and the last one 9 months ago and all are showing signs of the floor tiles being loose in area where people walk.
The floor was tiled by a professional tiler, using flexible adhesive etc. supplied by a reputable tile shop.
When the tiles are lifted the adhesive is stuck to the tile but not the floor.
We are about to lift one of the floors and strip all the tiles off and start again.
Any advise ?
I do not want to go through this again in another years time as the properties are tenant lets.
My gut feel is abandon the tiles and go for laminate !

D

DHTiling

So the tiler tiled straight to the chipboard.. ? and it is a floating wet ufh floor..?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
i have three property lets that are constructed with water underfloor heating under a chipboard floor that is supported on beams. There is little to no deflection of the floor when standing on it. The floor is 18mm flooring grade chipboard.
The first floor was tiled 2 years ago and the last one 9 months ago and all are showing signs of the floor tiles being loose in area where people walk.
The floor was tiled by a professional tiler, using flexible adhesive etc. supplied by a reputable tile shop.
When the tiles are lifted the adhesive is stuck to the tile but not the floor.
We are about to lift one of the floors and strip all the tiles off and start again.
Any advise ?
I do not want to go through this again in another years time as the properties are tenant lets.
My gut feel is abandon the tiles and go for laminate !

cant be any of them then can it??

D

DHTiling

Yes floating floor with 18mm chipboard, supported on beams, with wet underfloor heating

Hi Ian and welcome..

Sorry to say but that is a major disaster scenario as you have found out... no way should that floor have been tiled the way it was..

I

Ian Vinton

That is my gut feel, I know nothing about tiling and left it to my Contractors.

Should I bite the bullet, rip out the tiles and put down interlocking laminate floor. It has been OK in the bedrooms with no issues.

I will still have the problem of tiles in the bathrooms and kitchen areas which have been built over, but these are larger tiles, I suspect they will also fail but later.

I

Ian Vinton

A stupid question from a novice but why is there not a tile adhesive that sticks to flooring grade chipboard ?

D

DHTiling

That is my gut feel, I know nothing about tiling and left it to my Contractors.

Should I bite the bullet, rip out the tiles and put down interlocking laminate floor. It has been OK in the bedrooms with no issues.

I will still have the problem of tiles in the bathrooms and kitchen areas which have been built over, but these are larger tiles, I suspect they will also fail but later.

Can i ask Ian , how did you commission the heating once tiling was complete.. not that this is to blame but it can contribute to fails in areas of larger layouts... but IMO Ian floating floors seem to be solid when first laid but after time they tend to sag and then deflection is a problem, and when heat is involved , then it increases the failure risk.

Reply to Tiles coming up months after installation in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen