Search the forum,

Discuss Tiled Sink in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jus001

Hello,

In the process of re-doing my bathroom and quite fancy a marble sink. Sadly I can't find one that is the right size and/or that I can actually afford to buy so had the (quite possibly bad) idea to DIY one using the same marble tile (12mm) that the walls and floors will be tiled in.

My plan so far was to build a very solid plywood/timber frame, tile over it then cut suitable holes for waste, tap etc. (being careful to do it in such a way it will drain properly). It'll probably end up more of a small vanity unit with built in sink I guess. It'll be in the region of 600x400x150mm.

Is there any reason why this sounds like a bad idea? Has anyone done anything similar before? What adhesive would be good for this?

Thanks!

J

J

jus001

The sinks I have made have no wood frame. Seems to me that would be your problem if you were to have an issue. The ones I have made have been 3cm granite or other very thick material that I could create a slope for the drain in. Epoxy everything and you may be well off..

I did think about using some thicker 20mm tiles and sticking them together without a frame - the problem there would be that only one side of the tile is polished. How easy do you think it would be to polish myself?

How did you create the slope for the drain?

Reply to Tiled Sink in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays