Discuss Tile fixing in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
Hello everyone

This might sound like a silly question but I would like to know the answer.

Please could someone tell me why it's not good practice to comb the back of the tile and not the wall?

Thank you :)

D

Dumbo

It used to be so the adhesive used to get a better key to the background, plus it's a damn site quicker if you're working with tiles under a certain size .

O

One Day

Because it's much easier to twist and push / pull a tile into adhesive that's already on a wall, than it is to twist and push / pull a wall into adhesive that's on a tile.

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
If the walls have been primed correctly and then the adheasive buttered and combed onto the back of the tiles would this be okay?

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
If the walls have been primed correctly and then the adheasive buttered and combed onto the back of the tiles would this be okay?

So is it just a matter of it's quicker to comb the wall instead of the tiles?

Thanks again for the replys

D

Dumbo

Personally i Used to find it much quicker when doing something like 200 x300 or smaller to paste up a section of wall then put tiles up rather than pasting the tiles .

O

One Day

I'll always comb the wall and back-skim or back-butter the tile no matter the size.
The difference in coverage is obvious if you test both methods.

But like everything; if it works for you - run with it!

Reply to Tile fixing in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay