Currently reading:
Thermal Boards For Tiling Around A Bath and Shower

Discuss Thermal Boards For Tiling Around A Bath and Shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Good evening all. :thumbsup:

My next project involves tiling around a bath with a shower within a 7 year old apartment. When removing the previous tiles and walls i found hardibacker board at the shower end of the bath and double skin plasterboard on metal studs at the other ends.

My initial plan was to use 12mm hardibacker boards throughout because i'm installing large format tiles, however i'm having second thoughts becuase of the lack of thermal properties of this board. Is a thermal backerboard such as Marmox thhe only way forward £££, or would fitting i fit 1 x layer of plasterboard and overlay with hardibacker a better way to go?

Alternative sugestions much welcomed as usual.

Cheers
AJ

I would use 12.5 mm Marmox with taped joints and fixed with screws and Marmox washers.

Created on iPhone.....

Ok.. i hve gone ahead and fitted 12.5mm Marmox boards to the walls arround the bath and on the recomendation of Marmox, ran a bead of sillicon sealant between the boards before butting up.

What should be done with the joints? Should i use a scrim tape to support the joints or do i need to use a waterproof type tape for sealing the joint?

hi action,i know it seems expensive however without the tape your boards are no longer a waterproof installation and pretty pointless buying thenm in the 1st instance

is it just over a bath you are doing? if so you shouldnt need too much tape

you may be able to use an other make but would have no come back if it failed as it is not advised for that product

Hi Kilty, thanks for your help. Yes its a shower area over the bath so a 10m roll should do it!

Reply to Thermal Boards For Tiling Around A Bath and Shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.