Discuss The secret to 100% coverage in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just trying to ask a general question rather than myself having a particular issue. Been a tiler now for 3 years, touch wood I've never had any issues...

For various reasons, I've sometimes had to replace a tile laid by myself (eg a tile chipped by customer not me a year later).

I've noticed that up on removing said tile, I sometimes don't have 100% coverage. So...

What do you guys do to ensure 100% coverage?

Like I say, I've not had a problem to date yet, touch wood, but Its bugging me now - I want perfectly adhered tiles every time!

Is it simply a wetter mix? I do give tiles a good shove when bedding in normally, thinking that would do.

I use TA magix for pretty much everything, cos its light and easy to mix. (Yes coverage is crap, but I'm not paying for it at the end of the day!)

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
I was taught to first set the tile 1/8 to 1/4 from its final position, parallel to the thinset lines. Then, you move it into position all in one direction. The thinset ridges all collapse into the valleys at the same time, giving good coverage. I have not done rigorous testing comparing it to other methods, but I have been told this will give the best coverage.

P

Perfect Tiling

Although its mainly recommended for porcelain tiles I always backbutter the rear of all tiles.....that is to spread adhesive over the rear of the tile with my bucket trowel to fill the pattern imprint. Also, make sure you use the correct notch sized float.....the bigger the tile the bigger the notch.

P

Perry

Yep trowel and error. Been doing it for 30 years. Many of my guys have winged for years because they couldn't work it out. But tiling shop floors with pallet trucks etc, Its a must.

U

Unused Account 1

Backbutter ,or double up addy ,say mm on wall 6mm on tile , give it a go

Reply to The secret to 100% coverage in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks