Currently reading:
suitable substrate for wooden floor

Discuss suitable substrate for wooden floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Paul Cockhill

Hi

I would be grateful for some advice. I have been asked to tile a bathroom floor. The flooring is currently wooden floorboards with 6mm or hardboard on top of floorboards with a lino covering.

The WC is also raised up approx 10cm on a plinth with curved edges, above the height of the floor.

I was thinking of replacing the hardboard with some ply and tiling onto that?

What depth ply with you recommend?

Also any recommendations regarding what could be done about the curved plinth?

Would it be better to square the edges of are there any type of tiles which might go around a curve?

many thanks

paul

P

Paul Cockhill

Hi Thanks for the advice from Whitebeam, I guess Hardibacker is better than ply.

In answer to David Howe, I am a plumber by trade but found that plenty of pipes are hidden behind tiles, which always needed replacing. I went and did a weeks tiling course with a reputable company about 18 months ago. Since then I have wall and floor tiled both my bathroom and completely retiled 3 bathrooms as well as other smaller jobs.

I certainly cannot call myself a great tiler but I do a decent job and I have not come across a hardboarded floor before. I knew I could get some great advice on this website, I am also a member of the plumbers forum.

So thank you for your advice.

I am not sure what I can do with the curved plinth for the WC?

regards

Paul

C

Concrete guy

He's suggesting the "plinth" will be replaced with the hardibacker and tiles.

We're assuming the plinth was simply a packer to lift the WC to suit a fixed soil pipe connection.

Once you've removed the w/c, the odd plinth, the hardboard. Then glued and screwed hardibacker, and fitted the tile you'll probably find you're close to the correct depth to fit the w/c back in without the need to raise it up using to plinth.

Question to the current tilers:-

Back in the day I used to do this with 12mm Aquapanel. Is 6mm hardibacker enough reinforcement to tile on, even glued and screwed?

Reply to suitable substrate for wooden floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.