Search the forum,

Discuss Suitability of Brazilian Slate for outdoor use in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RealEarth

hi there,

i have a customer who is looking to replace the tiles on some steps outside a hotel entrance.

he is replacing some terracotta tiles which are ancient / cracked / unsightly. i have suggested the brazilian black slate as it is hardwearing / callibrated / available in large 900 x 600mm which can easily be cut on site to suit.

Because this is a hotel entrance, he is worried about visitors slipping when the tiles are wet. The tiles have a cleft finish, so there are slight undulations in them but it is not riven where you encounter large variations in texture.

Is there anywhere i can point them to (web or otherwise) that will put their mind at ease with regard to the durability / slip risk compared to other tiles.

I told him the other options he could use are indian stone flags / brick pavers but there is only a 15 - 20mm depth to work with, so we are limited on choice to something in a tile format.

Is the slate suitable or would you suggest an alternative product?

Cheers.

D

DHTiling

As long as the fixer installs none slip nose treads on the step edges then it should meet H&S spec..

R

RealEarth

i was wondering about the edges - where the risers meet the treads - there'll be suitcases and allsorts banging into them with guests arriving - they will ideally need some sort of edging put on there.

but with regard to the slippage aspect of the tiles - am i just best telling him that there will not be a problem as long as the tiles are maintained and kept free from moss / algae etc. (which you would expect anyway with it being a hotel)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

It is a honed type finish and pretty good in the wet and really less slippy than say a frost resistant ceramic.. so ok in my book..

They will have to realise that all most any tile can be slippy if very wet or iced over..:) but make sure a topical sealer is not used but you would know this being into stone..

Reply to Suitability of Brazilian Slate for outdoor use in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen