Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Small pits dotted over new black limestone patio in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

G

Gpholman

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, my new patio has some flagstones with small 'pits' (barely breaking the surface really) in them (see attached photo). I've bought Adseal Stone and Slate Protector to seal it but while it makes the surface in general black the dots stay grey. I've experimented with a dab of mineral oil and this appears to work well so would like to ask if LTP Stone Oil would be a good choice to do the whole patio with?

If yes, should I then still use the Adseal over it as a top coat?

Thanks,
Grant

IMG_0370.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0370.JPG

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
The ltp stone oil would indeed be a good oil based impregnator to go over the whole area. Once you test one stone to determine suitability and it will cover the dots.
But! Is the sealer you have in at the moment a water or water and oil repelant . If so ,it may not impregnate the stone through your sealer and just sit on the top and possibly cause an issue ( excess whitening with moisture)

ltp I'm sure would want you to strip this out first . The sealer you have just put in is not cheap , plus the strip and then the re coat. Very strange marks , did they not notice them on the install.
As this stone ages it will get lighter, it will soften and you may not notice these by the end of the summer,
Have you tried/ tested a permanent marker or right shade felt on one dot, not that I have ever done this or can recommend it!! ;)

If you still wish to apply the oil based, speak to the ltp tech line and they will run through possible removal - drying times and reapplication .
You won't put yours on top of theirs either , as the oil will reppel yours or congeal with it.

OP
G

Gpholman

Hi Bob, many thanks for the quick reply. Actually, I've not applied the sealer yet so that's one big headache avoided.

I'll look at getting the stone oil and not put the other sealer on top. Maybe that can be used in a year twos time?

Not sure about using a permnent marker!

Thanks again.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I would get a 1 lit only ,test your unlaid off cut or stone ,chip it up to replicate your stones with holes. Make sure all Moisture released before application. Would still speak to their tech line for application tips .

Reply to Small pits dotted over new black limestone patio in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock