Search the forum,

Discuss Slate floor advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MazzaG

My fitter has laid slate tiles in our bathroom. Unfortunately despite cleaning and sealing the tiles, an ugly cloudy grout residue remains on the floor. It also seems the tiles have not been sealed properly as water stains are also evident which I am told should not appear once sealed.

FILA products were used to clean and seal the tiles- I have tried contacting them for advice but had no luck to date.

My q's are as follows:

My understanding is that I need to 'unseal the tiles' so I can properly scrub the grout (grout/cloud does not appear to come off now sealed). What products would you best suggest I use?

What is the best way to scrub at the tiles once unsealed in order not to cause damage to tiles?

Finally, how do I go about sealing the tiles properly once thoroughly cleaned?

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Maria

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wetdec

Hi Maria

I think you have something going on here, clouding and water stains says to me your sealer is blown.

Slate in a wet situation absorbs minimal moisture through its surface because of the way it is composed, layer over layer.

Slate for example should not be coated with slate seal in an outside situation as if its not grouted with a waterproof grout and the edges sealed in adequately the moisture gets in and blows the sealer. Another reason not to use sand & cement when grouting slate.

Your clouding and water marking could possibly be your grouting is to blame as water / moisture will enter slate from the sides.

Just have a check to see if your grout is finishing near level and you have no dips near or around the tiles at fault.

If you want to strip then look to the Lithofin range it will answer all your needs and give you a professional finish..........:thumbsup:

tiler

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TilingLogistics

Hi Maria

I think you have something going on here, clouding and water stains says to me your sealer is blown.

Slate in a wet situation absorbs minimal moisture through its surface because of the way it is composed, layer over layer.

Slate for example should not be coated with slate seal in an outside situation as if its not grouted with a waterproof grout and the edges sealed in adequately the moisture gets in and blows the sealer. Another reason not to use sand & cement when grouting slate.

Your clouding and water marking could possibly be your grouting is to blame as water / moisture will enter slate from the sides.

Just have a check to see if your grout is finishing near level and you have no dips near or around the tiles at fault.

If you want to strip then look to the Lithofin range it will answer all your needs and give you a professional finish..........:thumbsup:

tiler

Wetdec

With reference to the above post!

Can you clarify "Waterproof Grout"? Or did you mean epoxy grout?

What do you mean by moisture gets in and blows the sealer? Are you talking about a topical sealer or penetrating sealer?

Thanks

Kev

T

TilingLogistics

My fitter has laid slate tiles in our bathroom. Unfortunately despite cleaning and sealing the tiles, an ugly cloudy grout residue remains on the floor. It also seems the tiles have not been sealed properly as water stains are also evident which I am told should not appear once sealed.

FILA products were used to clean and seal the tiles- I have tried contacting them for advice but had no luck to date.

My q's are as follows:

My understanding is that I need to 'unseal the tiles' so I can properly scrub the grout (grout/cloud does not appear to come off now sealed). What products would you best suggest I use?

What is the best way to scrub at the tiles once unsealed in order not to cause damage to tiles?

Finally, how do I go about sealing the tiles properly once thoroughly cleaned?

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Maria

Depending on the exact sealer used I would take note of Wetdecs post but any sealer used will need to be stripped. The best product for this is Aqua Mix Sealing & Coating remover as it has very little smell and is a safe product to use. You will need to follow the instructions carefully:thumbsup:

Kev

D

DHTiling

Depending on the exact sealer used I would take note of Wetdecs post but any sealer used will need to be stripped. The best product for this is Aqua Mix Sealing & Coating remover as it has very little smell and is a safe product to use. You will need to follow the instructions carefully:thumbsup:

Kev

That is your opinion only though.....there are many other products equally as good or even better for certain applications...:thumbsup:..

W

wetdec

Wetdec

With reference to the above post!

Can you clarify "Waterproof Grout"? Or did you mean epoxy grout?

What do you mean by moisture gets in and blows the sealer? Are you talking about a topical sealer or penetrating sealer?

Thanks

Kev

Because of the nature of slate and the way its cleaved the only real way in is through the cut edges. Slate specific sealers are topical to my knowledge as they enhance and therefore can be seen to blow, they co cloudy / white as the moisture gets under them. This is confirmed by lithofin not promoting slate seal for outside use some years back.

Waterproof grout as such doesnt exist unless epoxy but using a standard grout will prevent water ingress and so reduce moisture absorbance by the slate through its cut edges and getting under the sealer.

tiler

Reply to Slate floor advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.