Search the forum,

Discuss Silicone problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JOHNJO14

At the back of the sink in our kitchen there is a white tiled wall, the tiles run along for a length of about 18 ft x 2ft high.
The bottom of the tiles has white Silicone running along them & in the area behind the sink the water has rotted & dirtied the Silicone, some of it has broken away. Some time ago we had the same problem & we got a Tiler to come in & redo it with fresh Silicone, but now its gone bad again.
I don't want to put this Silicone on it again as it doesn't last very long & its expensive getting it done by a Tiler, & so i am wondering if there is someone on here who can advise me on what to do.
I have been thinking about a narrow trim or something, if there is such a thing, that i could possibly fix to the bottom of these tiles ?, or any other proposal on how to deal with this.
Any help will be appreciated.
John

J

JOHNJO14

Hello John and welcome..

You need to remove all of the mouldy silicone before re-sealing or the mould will just grow back..

Silicone eater from any good DIY store will remove it..

but firstly what kind of work tops do you have and what brand of silicone was used before.?
Thanks Dave, the worktop is a greenish thick one, i don't know what make of Silicone was used
I am wondering if there is an alternative ?
Regards John

J

JOHNJO14

mapei ultramastic does not go black, as Deano says mask it first. Sounds like cheap silcone was used. mapei is about a tennerish.[/QUO

Thanks a lot, I will get this. I ahve the same problem with our shower. All around the bottom of the tiles where they meet the base is as black as soot, has been redone twice before by a Tiler, but it constantly looks dirty after a short time, would this Ultramastic be ok to put on that also ?
Thanks again, John

Reply to Silicone problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.