Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Silicon staining on Grey Limestone in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

J Sid

Hi.
finished a Grey Limestone wet room last week. All good everyone happy.
Bathroom fitter just called, he has silicone the glass screen in in clear Dow Corning and the stone has stained 5mm out from the edge of the silicon. The stone was sealed with 2 coats of stainstop. He said he used water and Fairy to smooth and clean the silicon. Going tomorrow to try to remove the stain with power clean and/or wax off. Any thoughts, come across this before?
Thanks Julian

J

J Sid

Finish tiling. Will post staining pic in morning.

Attachments

• WP_20131008_10_48_29_Pro.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 93
I

IHB

OTTOSEAL® S70 Otto-Chemie OTTOSEAL® S70 Premium Natural Stone Silicone Sealant - Natural stone sealants - Product List - Sealants Online Nice stuff to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J Sid

Many thanks IHB. will study that. Had to sand on buff the staining out in the end. On took 10 mins should have just done that from the start. Everything else i tried didn't touch it.

Attachments

• WP_20131016_08_23_57_Pro.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 61
I

IHB

Stain stop still leaves Limestone & Marble sensitive to acid. I don't think it always protects from silicone staining. Not sure whether the Nicholls and Clark stuff will be different.

W

White Room

Stain stop still leaves Limestone & Marble sensitive to acid. I don't think it always protects from silicone staining. Not sure whether the Nicholls and Clark stuff will be different.

Sorry mate I meant silicone for stone:oops:

I

IHB

No problem. I wonder how many people use non neutral cure on stone and never get a problem. It was a thread on here that recommended Ottoseal. Comes in huge number of colours and goes on really well with a fugi profiling tool.

J

J Sid

Thanks for the replies. Always tell customers what cleaning products to use and no use. Never thought about telling the plumber what silicon to use. Will now do some research. Will check out Ottoseal and see if i can find the thread. Many thanks for the help, i learnt something today.

J

J Sid

Thanks, just sent them a tweet to ask that question. See what they say. Just start looking at the ottoseal site. Need to see what cost is then may order some to try.

J

J Sid

I use silicon carbide paper on my Makita. Started with 240 grit and worked down till i got required finish. ATS do these. A must have for all aspects of tiling.

Reply to Silicon staining on Grey Limestone in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks