Search the forum,

Discuss Shower Room Tanking Advice Please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SB4U

Hi Everyone. I'm currently DIYing my en-suite shower room and could do with some advice re tanking.

The floor is a new sand and cement screeded floor with in-screed UFH and an Impey Aquagrade former as the wetroom style 'tray' which needs a tanking membrane on it. The dimensions of the former are 1050x1350. I will be installing some shower screens though, so it won't be a full wetroom as such so was intending on not tanking the floor far beyond the tray itself.

The walls are plastered blockwork, although where I removed the tiles from the old shower cubicle, and a few other places, the plaster skim came off too leaving just the first coat plaster. The walls are surprisingly level though, apart from one which is all over the place.

I'd originally planned on using Impey Tilesafe tanking on the former and part way up the walls, as that was what was recommended by the Aquagrade supplier but we've since decided on large format tiles (300x600x9) and I think the plastered walls, or indeed the Tilesafe, won't take their weight as they'll be over 20kg/m2. So I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to dot and dab plasterboard to the walls (plus through fixings) and tank that. Tilesafe still wouldn't be suitable but Impey also do a product called Waterguard which has a higher load bearing capcity of 30kg/m2 which would do the trick. Plus, an added advantage to installing plasterboard is that it will hopefully make tiling with the large tiles easier for me as the substrate should be more level.

Alternatively, rather than tanking the walls at all, I could possibly use something like Marmox or Wedi in the shower area and just use a tanking membrane on the floor. But I thought as there'd be enough membrane left over after doing the floor I could save a bit of money by using that on the walls over normal plasterboard. This project has already cost a small fortune (and many months of time too!) just to get it to this stage, although you'd never believe it by looking at it, so it would make a nice change to save a bit of money.

Or alternatively I could tank the walls with WP1 and use a cheaper membrane on the floor, like Homelux maybe.

Arrrrggggghhhhh. Too many options!!! What would YOU recommend?

Steve

P.S. I was going to upload some pics but couldn't work out how to do it. Might try again later.

S

SB4U

Thanks for the reply @Alan.P It's good to know I'm on the right track anyway.

I think I might go for just bog standard plasterboard everywhere except for the shower area where I'll use Aquaboard. And then tank the bottom metre of the shower area with Waterguard. Hopefully that'll do it.

O

Old Mod

Thanks for the reply @Alan.P It's good to know I'm on the right track anyway.

I think I might go for just bog standard plasterboard everywhere except for the shower area where I'll use Aquaboard. And then tank the bottom metre of the shower area with Waterguard. Hopefully that'll do it.

When u mechanically fix any backer board in a wet area, waterproof or not, u still need to tank the joints (unless u use their board adhesive specifically for joining boards) and fixing points.
Every time u breech the board with fixing points its then not waterproof

One option would be to fix plumb batons to your shower walls, then board with 12mm Hardibacker then just tank it all with Ardex WPC.
It's competively priced tanking system and is very easy to use.

It's already been suggested that after investing so much time and money it would be inadvisable to do something u hope will work.

S

SB4U

Thanks for the reply @3_fall What you're saying makes good sense.

I'd prefer not to batten if I can get away with it as it'll take just a bit too much off the dimensions of the room which will then make the wall to wall cabinets we've chosen not fit.

Perhaps I could dot and dab Aquaboard with through fixings and then use the Ardex over the lot anyway.

I'd thought I'd use tile adhesive on all the joint edges throughout with jointing tape over. Or is there something more specific I should use?

Steve

O

Old Mod

Thanks for the reply @3_fall What you're saying makes good sense.

I'd prefer not to batten if I can get away with it as it'll take just a bit too much off the dimensions of the room which will then make the wall to wall cabinets we've chosen not fit.

Perhaps I could dot and dab Aquaboard with through fixings and then use the Ardex over the lot anyway.

I'd thought I'd use tile adhesive on all the joint edges throughout with jointing tape over. Or is there something more specific I should use?

Steve

Hey Steve,

With Ardex WPC, it comes with a roll of jointing tape, u apply the tape and then with a thicker mix of the WPC u cover the joints.
Only mix a little at a time tho, it's sets quite quickly and is easily wasted.
The instructions are very simple to follow.

Just try to stagger your joints with the boards.

No u don't need to baton first, it's just easier to plumb the batons rather than the boards, well for me anyway.

Mechanical fixings are a must tho.

Marc.

S

SB4U

Thanks @Alan.P Yeah. Got that. :) I've just received a sample of Waterguard this morning. Looks good (to my untrained eye anyway). I'm thinking I'll use that on the floor and then there should be enough left over to do a metre up the walls in the shower area. I'll then use the Ardex from the top of the Waterguard to the ceiling, covering the joints and fixing points as what @3_fall was saying earlier.

Don't want to get ahead of myself though. Gotta get the boards attached yet!

Steve

Reply to Shower Room Tanking Advice Please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen